Namaste from Kathmandu, Nepal!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kathmandu, Feb 16, 2014.

1. kathmandu

kathmandu New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    First off, this is a great site. Thank you, to whomever started it, and thanks to all the great members who help each other out.

I got my first hens a few weeks ago from a farmer selling chickens along the side of the road. About 17 hens and roosters all (literally) cooped up in a small cage. He sells, then butchers them, for us denizens of Kathmandu. Long story short, my middle daughter's birthday was coming up and I got her a couple of beautiful hens (promptly named June Bug and Pepper . . . we are originally from the MidWest (United States). The hens were petrified for the first couple of weeks in their new, free range, environment, but are now pudgy and brave, as they love chasing kaag's (crows) away from their food. It's hilarious.

They like to sleep together in a roost my gardener built for them. There is another roost that my gardener says we can put two more hens . . . I am not getting roosters due to the proximity of my neighbors who would not appreciate loud crowing in the A.M.

While traveling outside of Kathmandu, I met a farmer who has five day olde chicks. I would like to get two more hens but am concerned about fighting. Can I introduce these little babies to my older girls or will the older one's kill them? My gardener says no, but I'm a bit concerned. The hens have lots of room to scratch and walk around all day, including having bushes to hide in. How old can I take the little one's from their mom?

The kurkura (chickens) are dherai rumailo (very fun)!

Anyway, thanks for letting a Nepali resident join your group!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You need to wait for the chicks to grow up to be nearly the same size as the other hens. Older birds can harm the young babies. So give them a couple months to grow up. And when you do go to introduce the newer birds, do it slowly. Cage or keep the new ones fenced off from the older flock, but within the same space. This way everybody sees, but nobody touches. Leave the new birds in this area within the flock for several weeks. Over this time, the older flock will have worked out some of the pecking order from behind wire and when you do go to mix them in, the aggressions should be minimal. Of course if at any time it turns bloody, you will want to intervene.

Good luck with your new flock! It is great to have you aboard and enjoy all your life's adventures!!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you in the flock [​IMG]

I would have to agree with Two Crows on the waiting to
    introduce your chicks to your older chickens as it is cold
    outside and your chicks would most likely never survive
    the pecking order ....... I have a fair size yard and still I
    do not put my chicks outside till week 4 and that really
    depends on the weather and even then it is off to a
    growing cage till week 10 and this is where all the birds
    get to see one another and become acquainted .....

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Two Crows gave you excellent advice.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You got some excellent advice above, good luck with your chickens.

6. Welcome to BYC from Riverside California. [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. kathmandu

kathmandu New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice. We will wait for the babies to grow up for a while where they are, then slowly introduce them to the other two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by