name my chickens!! lol

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by IWantATurbo, Jul 11, 2010.

1. IWantATurbo

IWantATurbo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Casper wy
    i was given 17+ chickens and have no idea what they are or what they are used for???? i get 6 eggs every day so im happy!! what ones are layers?

Ill go get some more pics right now.

the one on the right in the second pic what is it? ( i think it looks like a hawk)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The one on the right in the 2nd pic is an easter egger hen.

you also have at least FOUR roosters in those two pics.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I see a Polish rooster and several Easter Egger cockerels, which aren't really a breed but mutts with some ameracauna/araucana in their blood. I'm not sure about the one with the rose comb. IMO, 6 eggs from 17+ chickens a day is not a lot, unless most of them are roosters. What are you feeding them?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. IWantATurbo

May 19, 2010
    Casper wy
    first off i only have one that has spurs on its feet? do some rooster not have them? or do they not get them right away? and that one makes a lot of noise. there is one other thats crows but its not loud? i would love to know what one s are males!!!

that said i know nothing about chickens or roosters so any schooling would be great!!!

more pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Wow, you have more than 4 roosters! I'd try to get a picture of each of the birds alone, kinda hard, but you need them extra roosters gone! can't tell from fuzzy pics, but I definitely see a lot

6. IWantATurbo

May 19, 2010
    Casper wy
    ok ill get way better pics to night and post in the right spot!!! thanks guys im learning quick now!

7. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    That's a LOT of rooster there, you poor thing. They won't all get spurs at the same time. It took months and months before my Polish boy grew his - now they're so long, I know I have to remove them or he'll do some real damage.

Incidentally, we didn't know he was a rooster till he started crowing at about 4 months. Heard this god-awful sound coming from the coop area, and thought something had gotten in to attack them. Around the same time, we brought some pictures of our birds to the local 4-H fair and the leader of the aviculture group took one look and said what a lovely rooster we had there. Where? THERE! Ohhhhhhh... crap. So much for the all-hen order from the hatchery! "Princess" became "Prince" that day. Or... "The Rooster Formerly Known as Princess".

8. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Sexing by spurs is supposidly not a very accurate method. I heard even hens can have them, and most roosters don't get them until after a year. The size and redness of the comb is a good way to tell hen from roo. And for some breeds, the roosters are different colors than the hens. Hackle and saddle feathers should be starting to appear right about now. The hackles are the neck feathers, and the saddles feathers are just before the tail, for roosters these will be long and sharp, and should be colorful and slick. Hens don't have sharp/pointy saddle feathers, but for some breeds/mutts such as your EEs the hens will have slightly pointy hackles. Roosters will also get the long, curved iridescent tail feathers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Sexing by spurs is inaccurate. We have a 3-yr-old Welsummer hen with spurs 3/4-1" long. She lays almost every day.

You, my dear, have far too many roosters! It looks like you have a lot of Easter Eggers... why don't you get some books from the library and peruse the forums for a while, to learn how to best take care of your new birds?

10. IWantATurbo

May 19, 2010
    Casper wy
    lol thanks guys!!! i already had one rooster roast!!! guess its time for another!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by