Name my Duck Breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jrsqlc, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I picked this guy up a few weeks ago with some muscovies, I thought he was just a baby, but he hasnt grown a bit in his time here and he is always hanging with my Black East Indies and my White Call ducks. So I was thinking some kind of call. In size, he is smaller than all of my call ducks....so I no longer think he is a baby muscovie.

Could someone tell me what he is? He is the coolest little guy I have, so he has a life time home!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The coloring looks like magpie(of course, that is my VERY untrained eye talking).
    I can't be sure, but he looks a little large for a Call-Call x maybe?
    Anyway, he is sure a pretty little guy and sorry I don't have any better answer for you!

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Cute duckie. I would call him Robin Hood, because of his green cap.

4. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:He is smaller than my smallest full grown white call or BEI......so large is out of question!!

Quote:Great name, but I was looking for the breed

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    easttxchick might be talking about the large bill. But I don't have much experience with calls so it could just be a pet quality call.

6. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    I'm definitely not an expert on Calls by any means, but I have been interested in them for some time. I would say that your duck is a pet-quality Magpie Call, but that's just my opinion. Pretty cute little fella! [​IMG]

7. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    That is a very large bill for a call. I had my blue call duck cross with my mallard last year and got a couple ducklings that looked similar to that. The majority were blue fawn though. Maybe it's a magpie call X mallard.

8. jrsqlc

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:Wow, I wish you guys and gals could see him!!! His bill is tiny. He really looky tiny next to my smallest full grown calls. I will try to get a pic later today!!

9. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

maybe he is call cross black indie/call?

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know what breed, but he's a cutie! I would love to find out what kind of duck he is because I might want one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by