Name of a dewormer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by urbanfarmer101, Aug 25, 2010.

1. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls feathers are looking kinda dull and they are down in production. Think it is time for a good worming. I haven't ever done it and they are a year old. What type of dewormer and how long do we wait to resume egg collection? Thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I use ivermectin pour on-its a blue liquid-you use 5 "drops" between teh shoulder baldes and some on top of vent area for LF birds and 3 drops for bantams-you can get it at TSC-its in a locked medical case ther-16$ last a long time

3. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 40 chickens...I am not sure I could get them all with that method. I would have to mark their heads or something to remember which ones I already treated. [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:HMMM i HAVE 50+ AND i HAVE A HUGE WALK IN COOP-what I do is before I open door I pluck the oldest first first and work my way down-or do it at night when they are roosting ALOT easier!

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Urban... because of how many chickens you have.. that is the BEST reason to use this method. Use zip ties or another pen to release them once they are treated.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi! Does the Ivermectin kill everything on the bird? I just found out a couple days ago that the chickens have lice. Aaaaccccckkkkkkk!

I have never had to deal with before and now I am reading up like crazy. I bought the Ivermectin yesterday and also wormer.

Will the Ivermectin kill the lice and any worms they might have? Can I take the Wazine back?

I am so glad you all share your information, thank you!

7. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I forgot to ask--- if I use the Ivermectin do I still need to spray all the area outside and inside the coops with pymethrin (?) I know I didn't spell that right LOL

Roosts too. If the ivermectin kills the lice then any that are outside would die soon anyway right? Or do I need to do it all and be done.

I have neem oil and thought to spray that on the roosts too. Good or bad idea?

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I just wormed mine with Wazine. I too had never wormed them, but they were looking really thin. It's been 14 days (yay, no more throwing away eggs) and I can already see that they are putting weight back on and I'm getting more eggs too!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:the ivermectin works internally and externally killing mites. lice while killing internal worms and such-yes you still need to decontaminate your coops :)

10. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks Sonew. I better get busy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by