Name/Sex that chick!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jutinus, Jun 13, 2008.

1. jutinus

jutinus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    Some are 10 weeks, some 8 weeks and a few (not pictured) 4 weeks. We have a RIR, Australorp(2), Cornish cross (oooppps),Brahma(nicest chicken of all), Black Silkie, SWEET Banty Nanking Rooster, Buff O, A deceased black sex link (predator=Bloodhound puppy), Ameracauna(probably EE), and a Barred rock. What are these?
    #1 The left pullet-what breed is she?I put her next to the Buff Orpinton to show her redness, however she was a yellow chick unlke my Rhode Island red???? She is lighter than my RIR and has some creamy spots. Is she a sex link? I did not think I got one of those! Any other ideas?

[​IMG]
    #2 Australrp possibly roo next to? Maybe a younger two weeks pullett australorp or black sex link or banty??????(those australorps always have bright red wattles and red combs, even the hens). I was supposed to have only one of each. (So now three australorps?) Will he (if he is a he) hurt my Banty rooster with 10 hens? I put them out with the roo at 6 weeks. (he is nice). What age does the spur come in???

[​IMG]
    The third is a little baby australorp, hopefully pullet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Looks like a red sexling to me in the first picture. Think you are correct on the pullet beside the BA roo. But the chick looks to have a fairly large comb for its age.

3. jutinus

jutinus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    The BA roo is a real turkey. [​IMG] He is tough to catch and stands in front of the hens... to gaurd them. Drives me nuts!!!!! I certainly do not want two of those turkeys...........ooopps I suppose that is politically incorrrect... I will call them chickens even though they act like turkeys. When does the spur develop?

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    You will probably notice a spur bud on that chick now. Most all chicks will develop a spur bud, but only the roosters will grow. By the end of the first year, there will be substantial development, but nothing over half an inch or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by