Name Suggestions for 7-9 week olds

PBAndAlice

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2022
Connecticut
Wasn't sure if this was the right category but oh well. We have 3 chicks, two 6 weeks and one 8 week. I think. They grow up so fast...
But the girls need names before they grow up!
The red one #3 already has a name (Stella), but the silver lace Wyandotte #1 and the black sex link (??) #3 both need names!
For themes we want it to fit one or both (preferably both) of the following criteria:
- An old-fashioned "old lady" name
- A space themed name

I used up all my naming ability on naming my story characters and so I have no ideas left. Nothing clicks when I search websites so maybe it'll help if you guys have some suggestions. :]
(Already used names are Agnes, Blanche, Ethel, and Gertrude btw.)

Also, as a side note, if anyone has any guesses as to what breed Stella is, that'd be awesome. She was supposed to be a buff Orpington but uh... Buffs aren't red. They're buff. Lol. I'm thinking red sex link now but I'm unsure, I feel like she isn't red OR white enough either! Might make ANOTHER thread next week on that :p

Attachments

• 20230519_184932.jpg
    20230519_184932.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230519_185300.jpg
    20230519_185300.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 9
My girls were all given old-fashioned, lady names.

Gertrude / Gerty
Adeline / Addie May
Delaney / Laney
Charlotte
Winifred / Winnie
Sadie
Delilah
Tess
And our late girl, Beatrix / Trixie

In the future, I will have one named Matilda / Tilly ~ as requested by my neighbor. It was her mama's name.

At one time I had an Eleanore / Ellie. Ellie turned out to be an Elmer, and had to be sent away. No roosters allowed in my town

Wasn't sure if this was the right category but oh well. We have 3 chicks, two 6 weeks and one 8 week. I think. They grow up so fast...
But the girls need names before they grow up!
The red one #3 already has a name (Stella), but the silver lace Wyandotte #1 and the black sex link (??) #3 both need names!
For themes we want it to fit one or both (preferably both) of the following criteria:
- An old-fashioned "old lady" name
- A space themed name

I used up all my naming ability on naming my story characters and so I have no ideas left. Nothing clicks when I search websites so maybe it'll help if you guys have some suggestions. :]
(Already used names are Agnes, Blanche, Ethel, and Gertrude btw.)

Also, as a side note, if anyone has any guesses as to what breed Stella is, that'd be awesome. She was supposed to be a buff Orpington but uh... Buffs aren't red. They're buff. Lol. I'm thinking red sex link now but I'm unsure, I feel like she isn't red OR white enough either! Might make ANOTHER thread next week on that :p
For the Wyandotte, maybe Lacey.

For old lady names, maybe look at the Social Security website. They have lists of the most popular names for babies born in specific years or decades. For example, the 1900-1910 list:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1900s.html
It includes all four names you already have, plus many others.
Maybe Gertrude for the Wyandotte and Florence for the Black Sexlink?

For the Wyandotte, maybe Lacey.

For old lady names, maybe look at the Social Security website. They have lists of the most popular names for babies born in specific years or decades. For example, the 1900-1910 list:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1900s.html
It includes all four names you already have, plus many others.
Maybe Gertrude for the Wyandotte and Florence for the Black Sexlink?
Oh, wow I really like Florence! That one's my brother's chicken so I have to run that past him first, but I think he'd like it too!
Also since we already used Gertrude for an old Leghorn we had a few years ago, can't use that, although I loved the name. I thinky "Lacey" is really cute too but I don't always like naming pets after how they look. I would consider it though or something similar!
I thought about like "Tempest" for the Wyandotte. I'm not sure if that's considered an old name but it sounds funny and it has a lot of nicknames. I love calling my birds by their nicknames. This one might have to grow on me but I'm considering it as well lol.
(Also, thank you for that link! I will save it for every time we need to name some more chickens!!)

Back
Top Bottom