1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Name that Breed...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LillyJanelle, Feb 2, 2012.

1. LillyJanelle

LillyJanelle New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Southern California
    These are 2 chicks that my husband brought home from the feed store (god love him). They are 3 weeks old today, any ideas of what breed they could be?

Thanks!!
    Lilly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's so hard to get a non blurry picture of this chick... she (i think) doesn't stop moving lol she's all over the place and seems fearless.

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The darker one looks like an EE that we had a while back. The lighter one....maybe a rhode island red?

3. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    The dark one looks like an EE and the light one looks like a Red Star

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The first one looks like an EE. Does it have muffs?

The second one isn't dark enough for a RIR chick. I'd say a safe bet is a red sex link.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    x2

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Keep a sharp eye out for dark red feathers on the shoulder of that dark chick. Looks like it may be a boy, but that may also be the flash reflecting off the down.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    In the 1st pic you can see the EE already has a pink tinge to his comb, so I vote he's a boy. Don't know on the other though...

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I want to know where you found a purple Easter Egger! Oh, wait, it's just the lighting. [​IMG] I'll guess Easter Egger and production red.

9. LillyJanelle

LillyJanelle New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Southern California
    Thank you so much for all your help! The first one has fluffy cheeks, and I though I heard some strange peeping twice yesterday. Im not sure if im hearing a rooster in training or an argument between chicks (lol). The gold chick is very lively, and she pecks pretty hard, chickens and freckles :)

10. Quiltslikecrazy

Quiltslikecrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    #1 is an Easter Egger and #2 is a New Hampshire Red. I Have both breeds and are great birds!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by