Name that breed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by waldocoop, Sep 30, 2013.

1. waldocoop

waldocoop New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    Fernandina Beach
    We got some new hens yesterday and can't for the life of us remember all the breeds.. Any guesses?
    1. This is Rita she's black with beautifully blue/green tinted feathers & grey speckled head [​IMG]
    2. This is Lady is she a golden nugget?
    [​IMG]
    3. These two little ones were labeled Rhode Island reds but they look awfully small for RIR to me? Not a great picture but maybe you can see them
    [​IMG]
    I'll get some better pictures tomorrow
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Lady is a young rooster.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Lady is actually a rooster, "she" has saddle feathers and a very huge comb compared to the other hens. Rita and Lady are mixes, I don't think that Lady is a Golden Comet because they are supposed to be sex linked (meaning that you can tell their gender when they are hatched, though I have seen some pictures of sex linked roos looking more like females than roosters). Your 2 RIRs look like production reds (also known as Cherry eggers in some hatcheries), most hatcheries call their Production Reds Rhode Island Reds even though they are really Production Reds. The reason they are smaller than the rest is probably because they are bantams. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. waldocoop

waldocoop New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    Fernandina Beach
    Aw man I guess I should re-think "her" name then lol.
    Here's some better pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all your replies!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As far as breed, they all look like mixed breed birds to me. The rest (besides Lady) look like pullets.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, all of your new chickens look like mixed breeds. The barred bird may have some Barred Rock in her, the red ones may have some Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire red in them, and Rita looks like some sort of game-bird cross. "Lady" is a rooster, but the others are hens.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, all of your birds appear to be mixes. Its very difficult to tell the exact mix, but I think that Rita might have some game bird in her, Lady (who, unfortunately, is actually a rooster!) might be a Red Sex-Link or Buff Orpington cross, and the red birds might be some sort of "Production Red" cross (probably have some Rhode Island Red in them, but aren't purebred). All of your birds except "Lady" are hens. Nice flock!

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by