Name That Chick Game!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WendyF, Aug 21, 2014.

1. WendyF

WendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hi, I just had these little darlings arrive yesterday & am hoping someone can help me identify what type of Large Fowl Chicken they are. They are one day old in these pics, so if anyone knows how to sex any of the breeds that would be very helpful as well. We are not allowed to keep roos in our city & I don't want to get too attached if any of them are obviously male [​IMG]. They are supposed to be a Welsummer, Easter Egger, Blue Ameraucana, Golden Buff (Red Star), Buff Orpington, Black Orpington, Black Jersey Giant, Dominique, & Black Australorp. Please forgive the picture quality, I only have a phone for this.

Here is Chick #1. She has a decidedly red cast to her baby fluff & chipmunk patterning (I think that's what it's called). My suspicion is this is the Welsummer, but please let me know if I'm wrong:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Chick #2. She has a very striking pattern & white eyeliner! (Very thinly applied, as she is actually demure under all her glitzy exterior LOL). I think she may be the Easter Egger. Am I right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 I'm pretty sure is the Blue Ameraucana as she has decidedly poofy cheeks. I love her! These pics don't do her justice; she just got her cheek puffs wet, but they are very fluffy when dried:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Chick 4. She is a very light creamy colored doll, but I don't know how to tell if she is the Red Star or the Buff Orpington:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it gets tougher. I have 4 black chicks, and it's hard for me to guess what they are! Here is chick #5. Her beak is half flesh colored, and half black. Split right down the middle! She has a very defined eye line, and her bottom looks very much like my older Orpingtons did when they were this age, so maybe this is the Black Orpington:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #6 is a tiny little thing. She has a greyish spot on the back of her head & tiny bright white spots on the outside corners of her eyes. I have a feeling this might be the Dominique:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #7's only distinguishing feature is the pink tip on her black nose & the pink feet. She is quite a bit larger than chick #5 & #6, for some reason I'm thinking Black Australorp:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #8 I have come to affectionately refer to as Tank. Her eyeliner is very well defined above & below her eyes. She is the biggest of them all, so I'm thinking Black Jersey Giant:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, my poor little Punkin, Chick #9. She was very weak & woozy yesterday. I thought for sure she wasn't going to make it; she was just so listless. But in my hands she actually leaned into me & made tiny contented noises. I couldn't bear to put her down. She slowly ended up opening her eyes, and I was able to coax her to drink some drops of water on my hand. After 3 hours of getting her to drink every half hour (she had no interest in the food I offered) & keeping her warm & calm, I finally returned her to the brooder thinking I'd find a dead chick this morning. She looks just awful in these pictures, but this morning she was an energetic little ball of joy, eating & drinking & bouncing around with all of her brooder-buddies like nothing ever happened! I don't know how to tell if she is the Buff Orpington or the Red Star:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    I believe chick 9 Is the red star, it has the orange legs of one, where as the orpington would have white legs.

3. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    Thank you! Chick 4's legs are much whiter than 9, I appreciate your input :).

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

6. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    Wow, thanks! From 9 down to 4 mysteries!! I do love the splash pattern, so it would be so exciting for me if the Ameraucana is a splash!! The Hatchery did say their EEs are bearded & non-bearded, so I must have gotten the non. Too bad, as I love me some cheek poofs for sure. I will try to get a pic of #1's comb, but that camera is pretty poor quality. I'll try tonight.

7. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    It's really too bad about the Welsummer, I really wanted those eggs...

8. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    Here is Chick #1's comb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WendyF

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    Mystery is solved on chick #1: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/produ...WSessionId83=f97ed5d054ba4fb9b37f3113c62cfedc. I don't know why I didn't think to check for a Welsummer chick pic on Meyer's site [​IMG]. This is exactly what she looks like, she just is darker. But same pattern. So it appears what I have is not the typical Welsummer chick, but the 'Meyer Hatchery' version. So it will be interesting to see how she grows. Still, it makes me so happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by