Name that chicken!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CaptMom, Feb 19, 2016.

1. CaptMom

CaptMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    I ordered 25 chicks which came in today. They were supposed to be 5 each of Australorps, easter eggers, wyandottes, california whites and Speckled Sussex. Due to low hatches i was told they substituted my sussex for rainbows. I looks to me like they just added 1 more of each of the other 4 varieties, with the exception of 1 chick. I have no idea what breed it may be. Any guesses? The one that looks like a leopard. [​IMG]

2. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure I will be much help. At first it kind of looked like a buff silkie, with the color and the beard, but the color isn't quite right, and it doesn't seem to have a crest and the legs are the wrong color. I would look on the website for bearded breeds. What hatchery did you order from?

3. CaptMom

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    I ordered from eFowl. I was thinking maybe an extra California white, but i think she has way too much black for that.

4. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Its the one right in front right? that's buff with the black on it? Yeah, I don't think it's a california white. I got two california whites as chicks 2 years ago, and had them until a few months ago. I think they both died from worms(maybe?). Plus california whites don't have beards. It has a beard right? Can you take a better picture of it's face? I'll look at the website.

5. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I forgot to ask. Is it a bantam, or large fowl?

6. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I know the feet aren't dark, but it could be an easter egger that just has a different pattern. I couldn't find anything other than that on the website. Its the only breed that has a beard and muffs, clean legs, and is a bantam. It also seems to have a comb other than a single(straight) comb. I'm guessing it's a bantam but I'm not sure. I guess you might just have to wait for it to feather out. Keep us(or just me at the moment lol) posted if you find out anything else :)

7. CaptMom

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    It "should" be a large fowl. This is only my second time having chicks, so im still pretty new. I have a 2nd im not 100% sure about and its just a light, sort of, rust orange. It may be that yhey are both, indeed, rainbow chickens, which from what ive read is basically a mutt. This would explain the random pattern. Regardless, she is currently the family favorite! Picture 3 is an Easter egger and the 2 chicks in question. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BaileyMChicks

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah...sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm not an expert in any respect. I just got chickens 2 years ago. The red one could be any red chicken. You may have to just wait until they feather out. Sorry. I hope someone with more knowledge can help you better :)

9. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    The spotted one looks like a golden campine but they don't have beards.

10. freedom chick

freedom chick Chillin' With My Peeps

how did it turn out?

Did you identify your mystery chick??

Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by