1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Name that Chicken!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fugly1100, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Fugly1100

Fugly1100 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They look like Old English Game Bantams. These are my color guesses. [​IMG] (Keep that in mind. Just guesses. [​IMG])
    #1 has (from l-r) Brassyback hen, Silver Duckwing hen, Black Breasted Red rooster, possibly a poorly marked Silver Quill or Porcelain or a mixed color, and the same.
    #2 is a trio of BBR.
    #3 appears to be the same two birds as are on the right in the first picture.
    #4 appears to be the 4th bird in the first picture.

You should check out these two pages from FeatherSite on OEGB.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//Games/GameBantams/BRKOEGBantams.html
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry//Games/GameBantams/BRKOEGBantams2.html

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    They look like very handsome Largefowl Games (not bantam) and don't appear to be purebloods. They do not have consist combs, or body types of which a breed would require. As for colors you have.
    Two Light Columbians (They are not the best examples of the color type)- white and black
    One Brown Red- The Black hen with the red head
    One Birchin- Black hen with silver head
    Three Black Breasted Reds- Red Rooster and the brown hens.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    any idea of age?

5. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:That is difficult to say. Judging the rooster's tail he can't be that young. However, their colors (in particular the b.b reds) don't seem quite as well blended as older games. Perhaps 1-3 years of age, hens could even be younger then the roo. Games live a very long time, often into their teens.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    i have had them for almost two weeks and still no eggs! [​IMG] whats wrong? is there anything i can do?

7. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:Chances are there is nothing wrong. Games are very poor layers, and season layers to boot. Depending on your weather it is possible that you will not get any eggs till spring, as most games tend to stop laying in the winter time.
    At this time of year many birds stop laying due to molt, and changes in daylight. Your birds just moved to a new home, so they are just getting adjusted to their new surroundings. Games are very sensitive so this alone could have stopped their production.
    To help them lay in the winter you may need to provide them with a light. Also, make sure they are getting the proper nutrients. Games tend to need more protein then regular chickens, and the hens will need their share of calcium too. You may want to skip chicken feed and purchase game feed for them, but you can also ask your local feed store worker what type of feed he would recommend for your birds.

8. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    i have been giving them layer crumble since i got them, and they have a 100w heat lamp in the coop on a digital timer. on at 6pm off at 6am i live in north Alabama so the weather hasn't dropped below freezing yet. my mom gives them bird seed as a treat and they go nuts for it. [​IMG] when i got them it was more like a rescue cause they were living in the woods, no coop, and all they were feed was old bread. with that being said one of the hens had 11 pullets! (that i could not catch . . . [​IMG])

9. Fugly1100

Nov 1, 2011
    Killen AL
    oh BTW these r my first chickens so i don't know lot bout (chickens) in general, what is this breed used for if not laying? [​IMG]

10. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:It is nice to hear that you have given them a good home! We raised a flock of mixed games for years, they just run wild around our property. We really appreciated how hardy, long lived, good foragers, and what wonderful mothers they are. You also get some eggs here and there.

In the past games were bred for fighting, and they still are in many countries. Even people in the States fight birds, though it is illegal. Today, there are many people that raise them for the same reasons my family has, as well as for ornamental purposes.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by