Name that poo

Freia

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
I looked through the pictures on the famous chicken poo table, but I couldn't find something similar to this. Can someone take a look and let me know what they think?
I'm assuming that since it's not something I've noticed before, and it's not listed under the "normal" pictures before, that it's probably not normal. I'm looking for some guidance as to what it could be - worms or just a thirsty hen?

Had these 3 poos in the nesting box this morning. That in itself is abnormal. The usually aren't many droppings in there. They all 3 seemed about the same freshness - I'm assuming they're from the same hen. I would have guessed cecal, but they're a cream-colored and don't really have any nasty smell. 2 had a little bright green along the edges. They look foamy, bit they're not. They're just really slimy. Almost the same consistency as egg-white.

doesn't everyone enjoy a good poop-pic in the morning?

Aha. The poo belongs to a sick hen.

I discovered 1 hen that is keeping to herself, and isn't eating. I felt her crop, and it's empty. I felt her abdomen, and it seems firm towards the back. I've been out of town for a week, so I just interrogated my husband and kids about her. They said she hasn't eaten in several days, and has been huddling under a tree by herself most of the time. At least today shes up and about.

I suspected eggbound, due to the firm belly and the runny poo in the nesting box. I figured she's been in there straining, trying to lay an egg. I vaselined up and checked out her vent, but I couldn't feel and egg in there. Just more of the suspect poo from this morning dripped out. I've never been in a vent before, so I'm a little unsure. I went in about 1.5 inches. Is that far enough to feel a stuck egg? I didn't want to go further, because I felt resistance, and I didn't want to hurt her. I also felt something rough in there. Is that normal?

Any ideas at all what could be ailing her? She's free-range. I can't see any injuries. No bugs on her. Comb is red and perky. She's getting up on the roost at night.

From the hard abdomen my best guess would be EYP. What she is doing is laying her eggs internally. In the later stages it will go septic and cause the hen to die.

If you have a friendly, and cheap, vet they can do surgery on the hen to remove all of the stuff inside of her plus take out her ovarys so it never happens again.

The green droppings are undigested bile from the intestinal tract and the large amout of white is urates from the kidneys. It looks like her system is starting to shut down.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

This morning, she greeted me with cooing and chirping from her "spa-box" by the fireplace. She seemed very alert, and not in distress. She immediately wanted out when she saw her sisters outside the window. I let her out, and she's with them, pecking at things, and seems quite happy. She still has very little appetite - she won't touch my oatmeal with yoghurt and cranberries, and her poos look the same, so there's no miraculous recovery. I figure as long as she seems content, I'll let her try to heal herself. If she's eggbound, 2 days of hot baths and olive oil haven't helped. If she has peritonitis, she's doomed. She'll get better or worse. If she starts to suffer, she'll go the the guillotine. On the bright side, I tried to catch her a while ago to try to feel for an egg again, and there was no way to catch her - I can usually just walk right up and pick her up.

I sure hope that she continues to improve. I always hate it when a bird seems to have EYP because there is not a lot that can be done for them.

Back
Top Bottom