Name that Predator!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Peaches Lee, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    So tonight my dad finished up watering the horses and came in the house and told me that the teenage pigeons had been killed. These are wild pigeons that fell out of the nest and into the horse stalls. So, instead of them getting trampled we put them in an empty stall in a nest of hay. They were quite young when this happened and were doing great. There was 3 in total, 2 nest mates and another one, they all huddled together in their makeshift nest. They were just about to begin flying.

Anyway, found 3 carcasses. 1 body unscathed. Another body chewed/eaten halfway down the body, the wings left and buried in sawdust. I found the other body just like the second covered up by the hay that was their nest. In another unoccupied stall I found vomit with feather quills, snails, and seeds.

I setup a game came in one of the stalls, now just waiting. I'm thinking it's either skunk, mink or possum. There is 2 stray cats roaming around, but I don't think it would be them, the scene just doesn't say "cat" to me.

So, what do you guys think? I was going to put my 5 wk old chicks out this Sat. but now a little hesistant even though their coop is pretty solid, but still. Any thoughts?

2. Dennq

Dennq Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    The great white north.
    I say coon.....snails, water

3. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    It sounds like maybe Dad suprised the culprit. The vomit tells me Opossum. I know I'm going to catch flak for that but I can explain! I am a creature of habit, I tend all my animals at the same time each day. Now I found one of my bird in just the same shape you did. The next night I started maybe 10mins earlier. The animal had me figured out. I caught it red handed. The only part I don't get is the snail part. I'm going to subscribe becouse you will get alot of wise people tell you something else, and I learn too.

4. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    My first thought was cat. Especially with the vomit. Sounds like it coughed up the feathers like a fur ball.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ugh! Game cam ran out of batteries...which leaves me [​IMG] because, it came back to finish eating all three carcasses, and again you could see where it covered stuff up (like feathers). I would have gotten awesome pics.

I'm thinking it is not a cat because the two dogs went nuts the night of the first kill and our dogs are used to lots of cats (we get dropoffs regularly). But I could be wrong.

I was thinking skunk because of the snails in the vomit, and we do have one living around.

Gonna set up the game cam again, hopefully get some answers.

7. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    Yeah, I don't think cats eat snails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by