Name that Silkie Color..................

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenzoo, Sep 30, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

Silkie #1 from my Cuckoo hen & Black Roo, hard to tell in pic but looks like he is getting light barring in his topknot

[​IMG]

Silkie #2 from same parents, lighter than #1 but half the skin is dark and half light...... hehe

[​IMG]

One of my Partridge pullets................... just for the heck of it and I love her.... hehe

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    #1 looks like a grey and #2 looks like a partridge.

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    #1 Splash #2 Splash
    Cute too

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Ok.. need to rule some things out here:

Assuming that the Cuckoo hen was black cuckoo, then that means all offspring would have to be black or cuckoo/barred; Unless the rooster was actually a dark Blue rooster, then the only possibilities would be Blue and Black offspring with the males have some cuckoo/barring. No splash would be possible from this mating AT ALL.

Is it possible for the parents to be recessive for lavender?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

The hen is a Cuckoo, the male looks Black but could have some Blue. I don't know about his background... it's possible. They are far different from my splashes, although difficult to see in the pic. You can make out a light barring pattern in areas... it's strange. I have gotten Cuckoo and Black chicks from them before... these two have me confused... hehe

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a similarly almost identically colored chick out of a Black X white (recessive blue or lavender (not sure but good guessing) and she/he has been very very pale blue with some dark areas/edges on crest and wings. I tried figuring out the genetics and what you'd call it, but everyone says its just a pale blue...So I have thus started calling Silver (this chick) a Powderpuff Blue [​IMG]

beautiful birds, I love the partridge.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hummmmm interesting. [​IMG]

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Anyone else know................. ?

10. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    #1 extremely light cuckoo with poor barring.

#2 miscolor. I don't think it qualifies as gray.

D you know the genetic background of the parents?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by