Name That Tune!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flspnr, Oct 16, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I heard a strange noise this morning. After investigating, it was coming from my chicken coop. The culprit? My white OE bantam.

I thought the sound was him learning to crow. My FIL thinks that it's her practicing the egg song and getting ready to lay.

It's my first time with chicken noises other than peeping.

Can anyone tell me what s/he's doing?

When I went to the coop to find the noise, s/he was standing on the food bucket and stretched as tall as possible. It started around sun up this morning. It continued in my house (I didn't want the chicken waking the neighbors).

There are no eggs (yet) in the house.

Here's a video with the chicken in question and the sound.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    That just sounded like normal chicken talk to me.

3. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    It's not normal for him/her, just started yesterday. There was some croaking this morning, but I couldn't get it on video (too sleepy to work my phone, lol).

Okay, so maybe it is normal chicken talk, and s/he's just learning to talk, lol. My other two have been doing chicken talk for a while now, and it does sound a lot different from the talking that Peep does or the growling that RePeep does when I go to catch her. [​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by