Name This Breed For Me!

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
Finally got some pics here to have help with identification of these breeds. Thanks for helping!
Breed One: Only have (1) of these.

Breed Two: Have 4-5 of these:

Breed Three: Have a bunch!

Rooster in the Coop:

Rooster Out of Coop:

Thanks for your help!
wee.gif

Breed 2 looks like a golden comet. Breed 3 looks like a leghorn. I don't know any of the others. I'm very new here and new to raising chickens. I've only had chickens for about a year.

Thank you both! Just a few more IDs to go!
clap.gif
So a Golden Comet and a Red Sex Link are the same bird? Easter Egger - is that what I see posted as "EE"? Rooster in the coop is a pretty bird, but boy is he bossy!

the whites are not leghorns as they lack the white earlobes, so probably white rocks what color of egg do they lay?
both the roosters are ee's, now the one with a single comb most likely wont carry the colored egg gene, but the one with the pea comb will
the top hen might be an ee what color of egg does she lay?

I think the white hens lay both white and light brown eggs.
The little hen on top lays small, light green eggs.

It's hard to tell which eggs come from which because I don't see them, but I get a variety of light to medium brown and white, plus the green one. 8-12/day from 15 hens.

Any way to tell which ones aren't laying?

What is a pea comb and single comb?

We've only had chickens for 3 1/2 weeks so I have a LOT to learn!! I do know they are chickens!! Thanks for your help!

Yes. Ee=Easter egger. They can lay any shade of green, blue, pink (tan/pinkish), or brown. Each hen always lays pretty much the same color its whole life though (paler and darker slightly depending on its point in laying cycle). If you're getting some white eggs, check the earlobes (skin dangles behind the eye area!)to see if some are white and others are red. White would be leghorn likely and brown probably white rock. There are a few white hybrids but most have grey or amber splashes on them. As far as telling which ones aren't laying... there's a method of checking the distance between their pubic bones and also the general "appearance" of the vent - dry or moist...I have not done this. Anyone else?
Congratulations on getting chickens! They're so entertaining. We love ours:)

....... If you're getting some white eggs, check the earlobes (skin dangles behind the eye area!)to see if some are white and others are red. White would be leghorn likely and brown probably white rock. There are a few white hybrids but most have grey or amber splashes on them. As far as telling which ones aren't laying... there's a method of checking the distance between their pubic bones and also the general "appearance" of the vent - dry or moist...I have not done this. Anyone else?
Congratulations on getting chickens! They're so entertaining. We love ours:)
Thanks so much. I'll be checking a little closer tomorrow.

Quote: I checked and I don't see ANY other color earlobes except red plus the EE's kind of mixed color. But the "white" eggs we're getting are actually more of a creamy color, not pure white. So you think the white ones are White Rocks, then?

Yes, they are VERY entertaining! They seem to talk right back to me when I'm out there and turn their heads back and forth like they're trying understand what I say. And those dust baths - oh my! First time I saw that, I thought they were dying and digging their own graves! Now that I know what they're doing, they are FUNNY!
lau.gif
(It doesn't take a whole lot to amuse me!)
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom