Name This Predator!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CORNISH_MAN, May 15, 2010.

1. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Hello, Im having a predator problem here and Im not sure exactly what it is. Im thinking fox but want to get some other opinion's. The culprit came last night and ran a turkey off the nest and took 18 eggs from her without harming her and also killed a muscovy duck that was sitting on 22 eggs and took 12 of those eggs and the duck. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks alot

2. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Sounds to me like it may be a predator of the 2 legged variety.....thats a lot of chow for the normal varmits, unless it was a pack of coons.

3. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    coyote maybe dont see a track though so im not sure

4. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going with the 2 legged kind as well I think I would be setting traps though if your losing that much they will be back for more of course you also may wanna start using padlocks as well if it is the 2 legged kind that will stop them.

Good luck

5. CORNISH_MAN

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Its not a 2 legged predator for sure.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thats alot of eggs to take in one night .. Maybe a family of Racoons ..The duck they killed what were its injuries?? That may help tell what the predator>..

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    My vote is coon. I have seen them take allot of eggs and yes one coon that weighs 35-50lbs can eat allot of eggs. They will kill and eat chickens, rabbits etc as well and they are strong enough to do it.
    Fox won't mess with eggs that much, and a person won't drive one hen off and eat the other? and not take eggs people also want fresh eggs not half developed ones.. gross.

Set out a camra they sell them at the feed stores that you can view on your comp from in the house. Then you will know how to trap it. Sounds like you can use eggs to trap it anyway.. camra or no.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Coons , as in more than one. You have all night so sure more than one could be taken them...I have caught more than one in one night around my pens.

9. CORNISH_MAN

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Quote:I never found the duck she has disappeared along with another duck a few days ago that was also sitting on a nest.

10. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Never had a fox take eggs but a fox will haul off the whole body. Maybe leave a few feathers and a little blood otherwise it takes everything. I'm guessing maybe raccoons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by