Name your 3 top favorite chicken breeds and why please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by braeveokapi4, Aug 23, 2011.

1. braeveokapi4

braeveokapi4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Hey I have a mixed flock of different breeds from d'uccles to sussex, to plymouths and polish, and mutts to buttercups, and more! Even some peafowl and muscovies!! I love these birds and I am always up for adding some more birds to my flock of friendly chickens! I believe they make wonderful pets and I'm sure many of you think the same! I just want you to name your 3 favorite breeds of chickens, ducks, geese, or turkeys (or a mix!) Or name more than 3! And include why you love them!!!

Thanks!
    Brandon

---Happy Flocking!!

2. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    I like my easter egger. She lays blue, medium eggs. I also enjoy my golden comet for her laying ability. I have a jersey giant that is very well tempered. Most of my chickens are mutts!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Ameraucana, Australorp and Sussex.
    Ameraucana, because they lay blue eggs and have great personality
    Australorp because they are regular layers, hardy birds and don't tend to wander
    Sussex because they're pretty [​IMG]

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    1). Naked Necks - They're hardy in all weather, are good layers, friendly, and have their own style. [​IMG]

2.) Australorps - They're so docile, broody (which is great when you don't have an incubator), love their dark eyes and shimmering feathers, dependable layers.

3.) EE's - Nice variety, colored eggs, hardy, good layers, seem to get along with everyone.

I'm not about egg production. I just enjoy my birds, their personalities and seeing what I get when I mix 'em up.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Euskal Oiloa, Marans and Sussex.
    Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Chicken) : friendliest breed, dual-purpose, hardy, robust, excellent layer(220 a yr.),
    best barnyard fowl in existance.

Marans: dual-purpose, dark/dense eggs(180 a yr.) , good color projects, excellent eating.

Sussex: curious, dual-purpose, good layers, set type and plumage, excellent eating..
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by