Name Your Six Favorite Breeds, And Why

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmgirlsomeday, Feb 27, 2014.

1. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm relatively new to chickens (as an adult anyway; I grew up as a farm & 4-H kid around lots and lots of poultry). I live in an urban neighborhood and have a city-approved permit to keep up to six backyard hens (no roosters). I've already picked a couple of breeds for my little flock but am still carefully considering a variety of others.

My current breeds are an Easter Egger (large, beautiful hen. Super friendly and lays one or two gorgeous eggs 5-6 days a week. Love her.) and two Silkies (my kids ADORE our two Silkies. They're gorgeous, unbelievably friendly, and they have odd and quirky little personalities. However, at age approximately 9 months, neither has laid one single egg yet!)

Among my six slots, I want to have several breeds for variety. So here's my question: if you were selecting 6 different breeds for your own starter backyard flock, which six breeds would you pick, and why? This question is meant to be very open and subjective; this totally a matter of personal taste and that's okay! I want to hear about BYCers own opinions of and experiences with particular chicken breeds. Also, have you ever had a breed of chicken that you've sworn, "never again!" How did this particular breed make your "Chicken Fail" list?

This should be a fun thread. Can't wait to read everyone's tboughts. :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I always recommend people check out these two breed selection charts.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

I really can't remember a breed that I just hated. Cornish Rocks aren't fun but they aren't around long enough to matter though.
    It mostly depends on your climate, housing, personality and needs/wants.

Breeds I love:
    White egg layers - Jaerhons(small thrifty bird that excels in extreme cold and heat, pretty color), White Minorcas (huge bird that lays huge eggs, not as big as Black Minorcas but Whites are very rare), Anconas (another thrifty bird that lays a ton of eggs, pretty mottled feathering)
    Light brown egg layers - Jersey Giants (come in black, white and blue, very docile huge bird), Plymouth Rocks(good layer and come in an amazing variety of colors), Orpingtons (good layers, docile, several colors but buff is the most popular)
    Dark brown layers - Welsummers (nice dark egg, good layer, pretty bird, suffers in extreme heat), Penedesenca (my favorite breed in the black variety [the only DP variety], beautiful large eggs, some people call them flighty. They are skittish when young but very respectful of fences and easy to keep in a 2'or 3' fence. They're also extremely wary and predator proof during the day.)

1 person likes this.
  3. farmgirlsomeday

Feb 23, 2014
    Thanks @ChickenCanoe! This is great input.

4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    1. Black Langshan
    2. Blue Langshan
    3. White Langshan
    4. Splash Langshan
    5. Black Indian Runner Ducks
    6. Blue Indian Runner Ducks

Reasoning. Langshans are the best breed out there. Thanks to the way the various color genes interact you can run all the colors together yet the babies are pure and a recognized variety. Runner ducks outlay any chicken on the planet, have less disease, and are better foragers, again the two color for variety but they can be bred together.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify WHY they're the best out there. Very very hardy birds, adapt well to all climates and conditions. Very good layers of brown eggs. Lots of size for good meat as well. Big enough to discourage smaller airborne predators in a ranging situation.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite breeds

1. Salmon faverolles- love the beards and overall puffiness. plus the eggs are a subtle pink
    2. Easter eggers- colorful feathers depending on the mixture and blue/green eggs
    3. buff orpingtons- super friendly and funny and lay almost everyday
    4. true Americaunas- blue eggs/becoming more rare
    5. *position open*

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. farmgirlsomeday

Feb 23, 2014
    These lists are awesome! I am pining for a Faverolle, and now I want a Langshan as well :)

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Black sumatra - beautifully graceful (cream eggs)
    Lakenvelder - very eye catching, good egg layer (white eggs)
    Black copper marans - good dual purpose bird (dark eggs)
    Silkies - good broodies/ mothers (cream eggs)

8. Animals970

Animals970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    1 - Red Sex-Links. I know this isn't a breed, its a hybrid. But I still love'em to death!!
    2 - Polish. I'm planning on getting some this year!! Gonna breed them. Love their crest's
    3 - Black Australorps. Their green sheened black plumage is irrisistable. Plus, they hold the record of egg-laying. 364 eggs out of 365 days.
    4 - Brahma. Just. So. FLUFFY!!! They aren't the best egg layers, but their so cute.
    5 - Orpington. OK egg layers, but have the sweetest personalities.

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My experience is limited as I've only been at this for not quite two years but I do have a mixed flock. I've got a few I adore and a few I'll never have again. However, I wouldn't take this as "gospel" as I'd imagine the temperament of any one bird may have something to do with their particular line of parentage as well as breed. This has just been my experience so far -

Red Sex Link: Love them! Egg laying machines with a calm demeanor.
    Black Sex Link: Have two of them and they're both big bullies. GREAT layers but bullies the younger and smaller hens. They're big eaters, too. I'll not replace them after they're gone.
    Barred Rocks: Smart and inquisitive as well as friendly. I swear, if they had thumbs they'd be driving our car! Reliable layers. One of my favorites.
    Delaware: My biggest disappointment. =( I love their looks but she's standoffish and very timid. Even when a chick she'd bite - not peck - me when I'd offer food by hand. Whatever I do, I don't reach anywhere near her. I think it's more fear than anything but none of the others are like that. She stays to herself, isn't social even with the other birds. A large bird, she consumes far more feed than the other girls. She is a reliable layer, though. Possibly other Delawares are different, this is only mine but I'll not have any others after she's gone.
    Easter Egger: A great gal! She's one girl I didn't ask for but the farm store saved her for me so I brought her home and am so glad I did. She's friendly but not aggressive. Is a bit timid with the other girls [those blasted black sex-links terrorize her]. Is beautiful and lays a lovely blue egg daily that makes me smile when I find it.
    Buff Rock: Sold to me as a Buff Orpington but the leg color identifies her as a buff rock. A big blonde pillow-pet of a gal that is friendly and a good egg-layer.

I'm sure others have different experiences with these breeds but this has been mine. No more black sex links or Delawares for me. Our good experience with the Easter Egger makes me want to expand my flock in the direction of Ameraucanas.

1 person likes this.
  10. farmgirlsomeday

Feb 23, 2014
    @Mtn Laurel I have two Easter Eggers and they're awesome! They're gorgeous, friendly, funny, and they each lay 4-6 beautiful sky blue eggs per week, no matter the weather. I wish I could have even more of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by