Name Your Six Favorite Breeds, And Why

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmgirlsomeday, Feb 27, 2014.

1. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm relatively new to chickens (as an adult anyway; I grew up as a farm & 4-H kid around lots and lots of poultry). I live in an urban neighborhood and have a city-approved permit to keep up to six backyard hens (no roosters). I've already picked a couple of breeds for my little flock but am still carefully considering a variety of others.

My current breeds are an Easter Egger (large, beautiful hen. Super friendly and lays one or two gorgeous eggs 5-6 days a week. Love her.) and two Silkies (my kids ADORE our two Silkies. They're gorgeous, unbelievably friendly, and they have odd and quirky little personalities. However, at age approximately 9 months, neither has laid one single egg yet!)

Among my six slots, I want to have several breeds for variety. So here's my question: if you were selecting 6 different breeds for your own starter backyard flock, which six breeds would you pick, and why? This question is meant to be very open and subjective; this totally a matter of personal taste and that's okay! I want to hear about BYCers own opinions of and experiences with particular chicken breeds. Also, have you ever had a breed of chicken that you've sworn, "never again!" How did this particular breed make your "Chicken Fail" list?

This should be a fun thread. Can't wait to read everyone's tboughts. :)

2. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    I have no clue why my post published twice. Mea culpa!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by