Names needed for my latest - the Delaware chick! Only one needed...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bargain, Jan 11, 2010.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay I got some gorgeous Delaware babies ----- 6 girls and 8 boys.....Need to work on the girl names...

Here's what I have so far for the other 5 gals.

Faith
    Hope
    Charity
    Love
    Delilah

I need 1 more name....Here's what I have so far

Nothing

Looking for a name that symbolizes, beauty and motherhood and is Biblical in nature if possible.......

Any ideas, please!

Thanks and have a blessed day........

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    The first thing that came to my mind was Ruth.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Sarah
    Rebecca
    Ruth
    Esther
    Abigail
    Hannah
    and of course Mary - there are a bunch of good Mary's in the Bible.

These are the first that come to mind- but for a dual purpose Delaware, maybe Martha? Industrious, useful, hardworking? No one ever said she wasn't pretty, so we can use our imaginations?

4. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Ooh, Sarah is a good one! It means princess in Hebrew. I know that because my grandmother's name was Sarah. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My first thought was Ruth too. But I do like Sarah. Esther and Mary are great ones too.

6. lauralou

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I looked up "ruth" in the dictionary. It means - compassion for the misery of another. Kinda goes along with your theme of nice things.

Of course, you could always go with Jezebel. [​IMG]

I was thinking of doing biblical names for the three little Welsummer pullets that I hatched from your eggs. I loved the prayers you wrote on the shipping box! Delilah and Jezebel are on my list. Naturally, I was also considering Nancy. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Not that Nancy completes the theme!!!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    If you're looking for motherhood, look no farther than "Anne", mother of Mary, and patron saint of mothers and grandmothers (and also, oddly enough, childless people. She has a huge long list of things she's patron of).

Being a Rebecca myself, I wouldn't choose Rebecca -- she was a tricky one, and you don't want your hens to be smarter than you are [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had a Hannah, my middle name is Ruth after my paternal grandmother, and I like the idea of Martha, suggested by Beth.

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay, Here goes..............

We are going with Martha for the last of the Beautiful Delawares....courtesy of Cyn's beautimous eggs...

Now, I have 2 of her BBS ORPs that hatched .....one blue and one black in the same hatch....

Thanks for all the help and if you have any ideas for the beautiful blue and black orpington, I'd welcome those as well...

I'd like to name one Cynthia, .....I think the blue is a hen - I could be wrong....

What would be a good male and female name for the Black one?

Thanks, I do appreciate it!

10. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Cynthia is a beautiful name for a blue hen. . . [​IMG]

And I'm glad you like Martha- hope you get a super egg layer in her!

You like biblical names, and a roo needs to be a warrior - How about Caleb, Joshua, Gideon?

More biblical female names were running through my head - I always thought Tamar and Dinah were beautiful names. Also Tabitha, Zipporah, Susanna, Miriam - there are SO many beautiful, graceful names - Deborah, Timna, Lydia -

Or "foreign" names? Maybe from operas or books? Graziella, Cosette, Camille, Mignonne? Sophronia?

On the other hand, these are Suede babies? SORRY. I've taken the best name for my roo already. . . . .[​IMG] Everyone firmly stands in line behind Ultrasuede!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by