Names????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkies~Polishes, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Silkies~Polishes

Silkies~Polishes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure where this goes, so i am posting it everywhere:
    Today i got
    3 silkies(white, buff, partridge)
    2 polishes( white crested black, you know, black body white head)

What should i name them? No extra silly names or ones that would put too much shame to the chicken if they knew!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours are people names. Cosmo is our roo. The girls are Rosie, Juliet, Alice, Belle and Stella (so far-some don't have names yet).

3. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    My RSL sisters are named Sienna (as in burnt sienna, the crayon) and Tallulah (after the chicken in the kids show "Maisy"). My bantam is named Uma b/c it goes with the rhythm of Sienna and Tallulah. [​IMG]

4. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    We use people names, we have Reggie, Betty & Hilda [​IMG]

5. jmjmcelwee

jmjmcelwee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    We're looking forward to the egg dishes we'll be making once the girls start producing in the fall so we went with egg themed names:

Sunny (sunny-side-up)
    Frita (frittata)
    Benny (eggs benedict)
    Foo (egg foo young)
    Merri (meringue)
    Omie (omelette)
    Dev (deviled eggs)
    Sou (souffle)

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have 4 buff orpingtons and 4 barred rocks. They are 1-1/2 weeks old. Each set of 4 look so similar to each other! I am waiting to be able to tell mine apart before I name them. Then, I'll probably choose names based on characters from books, or based on behaviors. I'm also waiting to see who's a roo and who is a pullet.

7. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I always name mine after my favorite movies. I have some named after the characters in Lonesome Dove Agustus, Cpt. Woodrow Call (Woodrow), Claire, and Lori Darlin',
    My daughter has 3 of her own that she has named herself.

I have some named after Chicken Run Rocky, Ginger, Edwina, and Babs

Next year I will be getting lalvender silkies and I will be naming them all after Gone With the Wind. Scarlett and Cpt. Butler of course. Mammy, Prissy, Big Sam, Ashley, Mrs. Ohara and Melanie...probably more depending on how many I get. I am already naming them and I don't even have them yet.

I always wanted to name some after Wizard of Oz too. Dorothy, Aunt Em, Glenda, Good Witch, Bad Witch, etc.

And yes, they WILL know. My Jersey Giant roo knows his name is Rocky.

8. EliseB

EliseB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I have named mine what I consider to be old fashioned lady names - Betsy, Hilda, Hazel, Ethel, and Agnes.

9. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    I would probably pick a theme and work around that...my girls are all named after tv characters ...Natasha (Bullwinkle), Lily (Munsters) Morticia (adams family), Samantha (Bewitched)

You could go with singers.... Beyonce, Mariah, Madonna, Cher and Dolly

10. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Oh oh... or you could do a movie theme.... My favorite movie is Gone With the Wind... so Scarlott, Melanie, Prissy, Belle and Mammy

If you have a favorite actress you could go with names of characters she played :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by