Naming a horse

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Run-A-Muck Ranch, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Over the weekend we aquired a 3 month old little filly.
    The question I have is when we filling out her registration papers there is a section for her name. It says to list 3 different names. And then there is a box that says...'check this box if you do not want APHA to select a name if the above name choices are in use or not acceptable...
    So is there requirements when naming our horse??
    Do I have to use parts of both the sire and dam in her name??
    Or can I register her with our farm name--like--"Run-A-Mucks" Maja??It says the name can not exceed 21 characters and or spaces. And Do not use names that sound similar to existing names even if spelled differently. So where in the world can I find names that have been used so as to NOT register her in one that is already used??
    It's all a little confusing to me...Sorry if these questions have answers that are plain and simple...Just never had to do this before and I probably would be starting out in the WRONG direction when doing my own search...
    Thanks for any help in advance...
    Shawna

oh yeah...her sires name is: 'Mac Ten' and ehr dams name is: 'Nesnej Jackie Babe'....Really do not want to have to use part of either of those names when naming her....

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think you can name them whatever you like, as long as no horse has been registered under that name. People tend to use the sire/dam's/other ancestor's names to advertise what bloodlines the horse has. Hence all the "Poco", "Doc" etc Quarter Horse names. You couldn't name your horse "Dock Bah' because you wanted it to be like "Doc Bar". Basically they are trying to avoid any confusion.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    AFAIK there is no reason not to try 'Runamucks Maja', and you might well get it; but I am not sure what if any punctuation APHA allows in a name (many registries don't let you use it) so you may well have to go with the unpunctuated version. Then pick two other choices that seem relatively unlikely to have been ever used. Generally the more words and/or the more unusual the words, the more likely it'll fly.

There's no requirement to use sire or dam names or anything like that.

Have fun,

Pat

4. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Thank you both of you for your help...
    We have a couple different names picked out for the little filly... 3 actually so I will be putting all 3 down on the form...I just didn't know as to how things have to be done, being we have never done this before..
    We chose Polish names for her. (Yes, I am Polish). Found many other names (not all Polish) that we really liked. But these are the 3 we chose....

'Leokadia'
    (lee o KAH dee ah)
    means..cares for others

'Maja'
    (mah yah)
    means...May (which is the month she was born)

'Wojciecha'
    (voy CHEK ah)
    means...soldier of consolation

We are adding our farm name in front of her name.
    I personally like 'Wojciecha' 1st, 'Leokadia' 2nd, and 'Maja' 3rd

If anyone else has any other suggestions for a name I would love to hear them...Maybe can even come up with an even better name.
    Thank you
    Shawna

5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    APHA doesn't have a section to check to see if the name has already been used, unless they have added it recently.

The farm name or initals in front of the name you want will usually get one of your choices through the process. Make sure your photos are good, as they can be a little picky on those, but the fee you pay when you send everything in will hold you at that rate until they get everything that they need.

Okay! Where are the baby pictures? [​IMG]

6. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:On the form I have the box to check is right below the 3 spaces for the names.

The farm name or initals in front of the name you want will usually get one of your choices through the process. Make sure your photos are good, as they can be a little picky on those, but the fee you pay when you send everything in will hold you at that rate until they get everything that they need.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find the price, as I haven't figured out which price on the form we need to check.

Okay! Where are the baby pictures?

We have the baby boarded at a friends house until we get a sturdy pen built for her. We are actually going out there today. I will try and get some photos today.
    [​IMG]

Hubby hasn't even seen the filly yet. He was gone to AT for 3 weeks doing training to prepare for his next deployment. He is deathly afraid of horses. But I think we can work him into not being so afraid seeings how it's a baby....Oh yeah...we also got a 12 year old 'Appy' mare that he hasn't seen yet..haahha​

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    This is just a funny coincidence, but her sire's name Mac Ten backward is Net Cam!

I like all the names that you have come up with, but the Leokadia is awesome [​IMG]

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:HAHAHA [​IMG]

I like all the names that you have come up with, but the Leokadia is awesome

Thank You!!!

[​IMG]

I really don't know that much about horses as I haven't had one since I lived at home...And at that time my horse a wild mustang. He was from Reno Nevada. And that is what we named him..'Reno'.

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Lol I guess I didn't write the information about checking names very well. oops. AQHA actually has a place on their website that I can enter the name and see if it has been used. APHA doesn't appear to have that feature.

It is usually worth joining APHA for even one year to get the discounted price on registration. You will probably need to fill the original registration with breeding certificate, along with a transfer form to you. The APHA website has them available on line if you don't have all you need already. If you need help with the forms, feel free to PM or EMail me. The earlier you fill, the less you will pay. Right now she is at the least expensive rate.

What a surprise for your husband! He'll adjust, I'm sure. [​IMG]

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Quote:Thanks for the offer to help...I am sure I will being in contact...
    Shawna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by