Naming chickens AFTER you get to know their personalities?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have been thinking of chicken names ever since I joined this forum... but every time I come up with a good name, I think to myself "what if the name doesn't fit the chicken?"

Does anyone name their babies AFTER they begin to display personality and certain characteristics?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I always name mine as chicks and they seem to grow into their names LOL There is one that I changed only because I never could remember it so it must have been wrong for her. It was a SLW so I just renamed her Lacy. It fits her perfectly. Although my Giant Cochin I named Steele and he's a big whimp! The girls can even beat him up if they want. He's a sweet boy though!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I rarely name the birds, and even if they are named, it's usually something like "brown hen" or "red" LOL. Caleb has a name though :p

I see nothing wrong with naming after they get personalities. I don't name my hamsters till after I see how they are like.

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Yeah, we held off until we got to know their personalities. It was hard, because we had to find other ways to refer to a specific chicken. We still have one chicken called "the chicken formerly known as Blanche".

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm trying delayed naming on this, my third batch of nibblets. The first two batches produced mismatched names, such as my roos Carmen (now Carmine) and Giselle (now Louis, the former Louis is now Louise). It must have been quite emasculating. I've found I can't help but call a few of the babies by names. I just try to keep them unisex, like Toucan Sam, Piggy and Short Round.

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    All of our chickens are named because of their looks, personality traits, or for a specific historical reason. Our hen house is called The White House, so all the ladies are named for First Ladies and the roos for Presidents. I discussed it earlier here.......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=61674&p=12

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    short round... isn't that a kid in a movie?... can't remember...

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I never name anyone until I'm sure what sex they are. Roosters I keep usually wind up with names like Little Guy or Big Guy because that's what I call them in their nameless state, and it winds up sticking. I also wait on naming my other animals, as well . . . I had my dog for a couple of weeks before his name jumped out at me.
    It seems more natural to me to pick a name that fits, rather than picking a name you like. I hate the name Howard, but one of my chickens is such a Howard I had no choice . . . and it fits so well that in this case I like the name Howard. Very weird how that works out.

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    all ours are named after classic movie actresses.
    The only one though that had a name before she arrived was my black Cochin Vivian. The minute I saw a picture of a black Cochin I knew I was going to get one and name her Vivian.

I have to admit though that they have all grown into their names. My Audrey is definetly an Audrey and Olivia could not be more of an Olivia if she were a human.
    Same with the others. Natalee, Mae and Ingrid(who is now Iggy.[​IMG] And will be leaving us since we cant have a roo here. I am wanting a Sophia and am hoping to get a Golden Seabright pullet to give that name to;)

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Our first 3 hens got named according to what seemed chicken-appropriate but not really with any attention to the differences among 'em (Matilda, Maryanne and Marigold).

This spring's chicks got named according to their individual characteristics, although not at a real complex level [​IMG] (the campines, which were all nutbags and several were very very precocious boys, were named Peep, Rooster Boy, Three, Wingnut, Hazelnut, and one never did get a name before he was sold; the two sussex cockerels are Itchy and Pants; and the chanteclers are/were Big, Bigger, Friendly and [as per my young son's bizarre imagination] 'Ladder'.)

The 7 sussex hens still need names I guess, but for some reason I am not inspired at present so it probably won't happen anytime soon.

It's funny - some animals get named instantly around here (e.g. most recent cat from shelter, who I *immediately* knew was supposed to be Marie, lengthened to Gracie Marie about 2 hrs later) but some of them languish nameless for quite a while (e.g. one of the cats was officially named Very Small Kitten for about a year and a half before he finally turned out to be called Bunny).

Can't really explain it [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by