NAMPA, ID

mujoosmama

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
Who out there is from Nampa, ID and would like to change the city's ordinance in regards to the $46 permit (subject to arbitrary approval), of only 3 hens? I have recently read that Caldwell, ID (right next door!) revised their ordinance and now permits 10 chickens within city limits. (If you haven't read the article, feel free to click on the following link..) http://www.idahopress.com/news/chic...cle_0b8d2724-ac42-11e0-81e0-001cc4c03286.html
If we are going to change the law, we need a show of interest. A letter to your city council member, phone calls to their offices. If does not have to take hours of your time, just put your two cents in. If someone else has already started the process, please let me know. I will happily follow their lead and be a support by helping however necessary. Thanks!

Hey neighbor!

I'd love to help out! We have our chickens already and had to pay the permit fee, but I'd be happy to call them or send letters!

Sarita

Are you by chance in Astoria Park Subdivision? That is where I live. I would like to go door to door and ask people to sign a petition or at least agreement that would permit up to 6 chickens in Residential areas. How many chickens do you have? Were you able to get more than 3? Thanks for your show of support!
Sincerely,
LeAnn

Hi LeAnn,

There's a lady further down the street from me - Inna Graeber, who is looking into chickens. Her husband is currently getting together materials for their coop. I bet she'd be willing to sign a petition as well (and me too, of course!)

See you Wednesday!

Sarita

Would love to get Nampa to up limit for permit required. We got my mom all set last Spring for her group of layers and are getting ready to start our own adventure (only plan on 2-3). It you all do an online letter with the city email to forward too I would love it & definitely share it along!

Have a great day.

GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!!!! I went to drop off my Chicken/Ag Permit at the City of Nampa Headquarters and was told, "Oh, you don't need that anymore, the codes have recently changed. You can have up to 10 chickens (As long as your HOA Covenants aren't restrictive). Would you like a copy of the codes?" (God is so Gracious!) Such great public servants we have over there... So happy to discover they have their fingers on the pulse of the community's desires to live more frugally and raise their own food!
Here's the whole scoop on animals that are permitted:
10 Chickens (No roosters)
2 ducks
1 miniature horse
2 potbellied pigs (in lieu of dogs, other details virtually the same as before, you can check on line by googling: Nampa, ID Ag Permit")
4 rabbits or similar (e.g. -chinchillas )
There is no restriction on lot size but no one is allowed to combine more than 3 of the permitted amounts of different types of animals.
I got on the phone and ordered from Dunlap Hatchery. They are sold out up untill May 14th, so if you are looking for a good local source, please give them a call soon. They have standards, exotics (like "Easter eggers"), and bantams, as well as Broilers, ducks, geese and guineas and turkeys).
Turkey's and geese aren't allowed in the city, and they don't mention guineas....
Ciao everyone! Celebrate!

So people in Nampa can now now 10 chickens and 2 ducks?

I have 10 chickens and 1 duck in city limits...Does this mean I don't have to have a permit??

Last edited:
Yes, if you are in City Limits these regs apply to you and you DON"T need a permit. If you out of City limits, the Gov't doesn't as much of a say. How did you keep 10 chickens (if you are in City Limits), and no one noticed? That's encouraging !

Because we have a six foot fence and nobody seems to care! :) This is very exciting news for me!!!
So people in Nampa can now now 10 chickens and 2 ducks?

I have 10 chickens and 1 duck in city limits...Does this mean I don't have to have a permit??

Yes, if you are in City Limits these regs apply to you and you DON"T need a permit. If you out of City limits, the Gov't doesn't as much of a say. How did you keep 10 chickens (if you are in City Limits), and no one noticed? That's encouraging !

Back
Top Bottom