Nana Annie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Annette Wright, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Annette Wright

Annette Wright Hatching

Dec 6, 2017
    We are working towards opening a Bison ranch but due to financial considerations, we are starting out with a hobby farm. I grew up living on a hobby farm for several years and in a farming community but had parents that didn't explain anything or let me help as much as I wanted. LOL. The lady that babysat me did teach me how to run the milking machine though. I want to pass this kind of knowledge down to my grandkids, but don't feel like I have enough experience to do so quite yet. We are learning together and that is kind of fun.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We are currently building a tractor and will be getting pellets or laying chickens in January.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I had hoped to have everything ready so that we could get them last month but my voluntold labor (lol, husband) had a different timeline.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I am planning on getting Ameraucana, Araucana, and Easter Eggers; each in their own tractors.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I got the link from a 4H website.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I am working on training our 3 oversized rescue dogs. We enjoy attending Society for Creative Anachronism events. I also love cooking and baking, my husband enjoys building and playing with weapons.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    We have three 8-year old cats, three rescue dogs (6 year old more-Chow-than-Shepard mix, 8 year old more-Great-Dane-than-Black-Lab mix, 4 year old Irish Wolfhound), and 2 red-eared slider turtles. My kids are all grown and I have 2 grandkids. I had to quit work to take care of my mother-in-law whom lives with us and my husband is a Veteran who is going to school. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    You don't need to keep them in different tractors if you don't want to. Welcome to BYC!

rjohns39, drumstick diva and 007Sean like this.
  3. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G’Day from down under Annette :frow Welcome!

You might be interested in downloading this free e-book My First Year With Chickens for when your chickens arrive.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

The Learning Centre is a great resource. Personally, I have also found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive or the coop build or current critters etc, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

rjohns39, N F C, Pork Pie Ken and 2 others like this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here!:)

6. Annette Wright

Annette Wright Hatching

Dec 6, 2017
    Good to know. Thank you. I want to try to not mix genes while breeding. And we have enough land that I think we will be fine. We are hoping to purchase more acreage and move in a couple of years so we will probably not get all the breeds right away.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Annette. I would like to sincerely thank your husband for his time in service. Welcome to Backyard chickens:frow

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Annette and welcome to BYC. It sounds like exciting times ahead :)

Including your general location, under your avatar will help other members to give the best advice possible for any future input / questions that you may have.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    :welcomeHello:frowand welcome to backyard chickens!we're happy you've decided to join us here :yesss: i hope you enjoy being a member of Byc :)

TwoCrows and rjohns39 like this.
  10. N F C

N F C snowing & blowing

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Annette, thanks for joining us!

In addition to all the chicken chat, since you enjoy cooking & baking, you might like to join us over on this thread: any-home-bakers-here.921333 Lots of great recipes and we like to share how things happening in the kitchen are going.

Make yourself at home and best of luck with all your plans!

TwoCrows, Hope Hughes and rjohns39 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: