Nana or Pop (Take II)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yabini, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Yabini

Yabini Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Australia
    (I've been redirected here so hopefully someone may have more answers! haha)

A little while ago I was given a young Silver Laced Wyandotte (couldn't be more than 8 months old I think) named Nana. I'd assumed it was female, but over the past couple weeks I've picked up some hints that it may not be the case? I've never owned a chicken before this (only have two currently - Nana and an ISA Brown called Betty) I'm looking for any help possible in working out its gender. The other morning I heard a really strange noise coming from their coop, nothing you'd normally hear that's for sure. It was almost like a broken crow? Aside from that Nana's very standoffish and can be a little aggressive towards Betty. The butt feathers haven't grown in fully yet but there may be other ways someone can work out the sex? Any help is appreciated! If Nana does turn out to be male I unfortunately won't be able to keep it where I live, so re-homeing to a loving family would be the next task.

I took these photos less than 20 minutes ago and they seem to be sitting together pretty well though haha, may just be the heat poor babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I posted on your other thread as well, and this picture confirms the gender of your chicken. It is definitely a young cockerel. Sorry to break the news, but his feathers (especially the saddle feathers), give his gender away. If he is a true SLW, the males do turn into extremely beautiful birds, but as you said, you are not allowed to keep them where you live.

3. Yabini

Yabini Just Hatched

Feb 27, 2017
    Australia
    Hello again,

Oh bugger :( I was really hoping to be wrong, I would love to keep him but my neighbors would hate me for it.

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    see those long pointy saddle feathers...the ones by his tail....clear sign of a boy.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Definitely a cockerel, sorry. I'd put his age more like 6ish months.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

7. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Cockerel beyond a shadow of a doubt.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens