Nankin Cockerels F/S in N.E. Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by GardenerGal, Sep 8, 2009.

1. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have several single-comb Nankin bantam cockerels for sale that may be breeding-quality. They don't have their mature/adult plumage yet, but show promise and good conformation. At the very least, they make super pets -- sweet natured and easily get used to being handled.

Nankins are true bantams, with origins in Malaysia. They are slightly larger than an OEGB. As adults the males have rich chestnut-red-brown hackles and saddles, irridescent black-green tails and a smooth chestnut-reddish-brown body feathering. Females are a soft buff to red-buff color with the black-green tails. Legs/shanks are slate or white (either is considered "acceptable"). Combs can be single or rose. I don't have photos of the babies, but I have a photo of some of my adults birds if anyone wants to see what Nankins look like.

The boys are about 14 wks old right now -- they're at what I call the "peep-a-doodle" stage where they're still peeping but they make adolescent "squawks" and they crow too. [​IMG]

$6 apiece or $15 for all 3 together.

Sorry, no females available right now.

PM if interested.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Where are you in Mass?

3. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I'm in Salem.

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Any pics?

5. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I don't have any of the chicks, but here is a photo of two of my adult Nankins. The cockerels will look like the roo in the photo (their grandfather).

[​IMG]

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    TO bad you couldnt throw in a pullet [​IMG] .

7. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Yeah. [​IMG] This year's hatches were heavy on cockerels, like 5:1 [​IMG], and I need to keep the few pullets to build my breeding stock. I have two broodies on clutches of eggs though, and they're due to hatch in a week. Of course I won't know sexes for a few weeks beyond that, but maybe I'll get more pullets this time.

Next spring, definitely.

8. GardenerGal

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    BTW, anyone who would like a cockerel now will be first-dibs in line when I do get pullets in an upcoming hatch. There WILL be females sooner or later. Just not right now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by