Nankins and Buckeyes: Creating new varieties of old breeds - a good thing?

Does adding varieties to existing breeds increase interest in the breed or just dilute the existing

• Yes, the more color choices a breed has, the more interest you will draw. It might even revitalize t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, these breeds have only a few dedicated breeders keeping them around and more varieties will only

• No, don't mess with these breeds. They should remain in their traditional form, if you want another

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poultriary

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
I've started this thread because I wanted to get some feedback on a couple of ideas, but I'd also like to draw in some folks to weigh in on their own breeds and how open they are to some of these ideas.

My specific interest is in preservation of old or rare breeds by renewing interest via either a new trait or new variety. Three future projects I'd like to work on are:

1) breeding the dark eggs laying trait into the Buckeye breed so the eggs is the color of a buckeye seed.

2) adding the requill color pattern to the Nankin breed from the Dutch and/or OEGBs.

3) add the similar golden pencilled variety to the Orloff breed from the Hamburg.

I am already helping on a project which brought the redquill color pattern from large fowl American games into the American Game Bantam breed. This color pattern has been accepted officially for show in OEGBs, but that is the only breed i know of so far that has it accepted. It exists in the Dutch, but no one has gotten it registered and it seems to have lost momentum.

The fundamental question is: "does this draw interest to the breeds in question or does it dilute the interest that's already there?"

I'd be most interested in hearing from the Nankin and Buckeye enthusiasts on BYC on this. The Orloff already has several colors to chose from and had more in the past. The Nankin and the Buckeye essentially both have the same color genetics (though I assume the Buckeye has the mahogany gene and the Nankin does not).

Thanks for your feedback.

I've started this thread because I wanted to get some feedback on a couple of ideas, but I'd also like to draw in some folks to weigh in on their own breeds and how open they are to some of these ideas.

My specific interest is in preservation of old or rare breeds by renewing interest via either a new trait or new variety. Three future projects I'd like to work on are:

1) breeding the dark eggs laying trait into the Buckeye breed so the eggs is the color of a buckeye seed.

2) adding the requill color pattern to the Nankin breed from the Dutch and/or OEGBs.

3) add the similar golden pencilled variety to the Orloff breed from the Hamburg.

I am already helping on a project which brought the redquill color pattern from large fowl American games into the American Game Bantam breed. This color pattern has been accepted officially for show in OEGBs, but that is the only breed i know of so far that has it accepted. It exists in the Dutch, but no one has gotten it registered and it seems to have lost momentum.

The fundamental question is: "does this draw interest to the breeds in question or does it dilute the interest that's already there?"

I'd be most interested in hearing from the Nankin and Buckeye enthusiasts on BYC on this. The Orloff already has several colors to chose from and had more in the past. The Nankin and the Buckeye essentially both have the same color genetics (though I assume the Buckeye has the mahogany gene and the Nankin does not).

Thanks for your feedback.
they are going to be your progect birds, you can do whatever you want with them, its NOT mandatory that if you have a old breed to save them, some are doing just that and doing a better job than most

Back
Top Bottom