Nannie Billy Ratio

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MetalFarm, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MetalFarm

MetalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Is it ok to have just one Nannie and one billy (and also a wether billy) or will he wear her out? They are pygmy and have one acre.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Nope, it is not alright. Pygmies are year round breeders. The buck (proper term for an intact male goat) will breed the doe (proper term for an female goat) at every opportunity. He can stress her out while she is pregnant, since they often try even when a doe isn't in heat. As soon as she gives birth, he'll impregnate her during her first heat (which happens soon after). Back to back breedings with no rest between pregnancy and lactation cycles will devastate her health.

Split off an area for the buck and the wether so they can't access the doe. Then get the doe either another doe companion or another wether so she isn't lonely. They are herd animals, after all. Then, only let them breed on your terms, when you decide it is OK.

3. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Ok fantastic. We've decided to wether the one buckling that we're keeping and not deal with any more pregnancies.

Another question.... We have a one acre yard that is fenced with barbed wire. If we put a couple lines of electricity in the fence will it keep them in?

(That fence is only used when we are home and attentive. They have their own smaller predator proof pen. We are looking to keep them away from our neighbors crops. They generally stay in our acre unless my dog runs them off chasing after his ball)

4. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    (The dog does not go to the barbed wire because he has an invisible fence. I've thought about trying his collar on our wether but the internet seems to think that's a terrible idea)

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i wouldn't risk it with the neighbors crops on the line...goats are incredible at getting out of fences, and can also be quite stubborn.

wouldn't hurt the wether, but i don't think it would keep him in very long [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    So is my best bet just to keep them in their pen and feed them hay? Seems like such a waste with that big beautiful yard for them to munch on.
    Dude said he would electrify my barbed wire and repair everything for $450

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    it would be a waste. I bet it would keep them in while you are there...i'm kinda in the same predicament. i have close neighbors and not enough money to fence the whole yard with goat proof fence (expensive) so they are out for a few hours while i do chores. better than nothing.

are yours babies or adults? Babies you may have a better chance of teaching them to fear in when their young, but one deciding to test the fence could result in some very mad neighbors.....

8. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Well you just saved me $450 I have more questions lol!

The boys are going on 9 weeks and I've sold them they're leaving Saturday do I need to separate them or are they ok at this age? I haven't seen them hump a mom yet

9. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    You can buy a lot of fencing materials for $450. I imagine you could goat proof at least part of that yard for that.

And your bucklings should be fine till Saturday.

10. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    lol :) the boys will be fine.

oh, i agree with H Diamond...you should be able to buy quite a good amount of fencing with 450.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by