1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nanny Pygmy off her feed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Our 2 yr old Pygmy is in a 'funk'. Standing at the back of the stall, just gazing into space. Wouldnt even come out for SWEET FEED. Normally she would be running you over to get a nibble.

No diarrhea. Can see any visable ailments. She was rubbing her belly with her mouth, like when they are in labor.

Any thoughts?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She could bloat OR if she was exposed to a buck, she could be in labor. Does she have any discharge?

3. Camelot Farms

Update: DD just came in and said that she got Belle to take a few bites of food and drink about a cup of water. Then as she was walking away, Belle passed green diarrhea. Didnt even stop and do the 'potty' thing as DD calls it, she was walking and it was running out.

Have no experience with bloat so am heading to do some research on it.

Have not had Buck on property since June 25th. So, I think I am in the clear there and I checked her udder...nothing unusual there.

Thanks greenfamily!

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could she have possibly gotten into something that was toxic? I had a toxic plant list for goats somewhere....

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Nope, you aren't in the clear yet. Goats gestate for 5 months.
    It could be an upset tummy from eating too much or eating something she isn't used to. You might want to check her temp.
    I hope she is feeling better soon.

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Was her head up or was she hanging it down a bit as she was standing in her "funk?"

Clearly, you've got something GI related going on here.. The fact that it was green would normally indicate a dietary scour, but they're usually more or less themselves if it's just dietary.. When they go off-feed and begin to act depressed, though, I start looking for things like the potential for ruminal acidosis, bloat, a bacterial gut infection, etc..

How is she today?!?

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Did she get more grain than normal? Could be acidosis. Does her left side look very high and puffy? That's bloat.

Does she get enough forage? What does she normally eat? Has anything at all changed lately?

Do you have any probios you can give her?

8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Could be entero. Try to find some clostridum perfingens antitoxin, but give her some penicillin now. It will help some. With entero, they will show some distress, they often stretch, and will show signs that their tummy hurts. Entero can strike at any time for any reason and it can be deadly in very short order. All goats should be kept up on their entero shots and goat owners should have antitoxin on hand at all times for emergencies.

9. Camelot Farms

Quote:Her head is up. I dont think its bloat. She has started to eat today. I let her out on her own into the pasture and she picked around and got some good greens. When I penned her back up, she munched a few stands of hay.

She is urinating normally.

10. Camelot Farms

Quote:Entero? I am at a loss...I dont think I knew that there were so many things that could go wrong with my little nannies. [​IMG]

I have penicillin and will head out right now to give her an injection.

Poor mama. She just doesnt seem herself. She has moved away from the other nannies and looks forelorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by