Napa cabbage sauerkraut???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lostsoulhelpmejebus, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I tried searching and could not come up with anything on the site, if I missed a thread please excuse me?

Is it possible to use Napa cabbage or Bok Choi cabbage to make sauerkraut? My granny always made it in a 25 gallon crock over the winter in an unheated porch. I never really liked it. Now that I am older I can do sauerkraut if I drain and rinse it ( canned, jarred or bagged ) then add either shredded apple or a bit of brown sugar to temper the acidity.

Recently I made a simple dish of Stir Fried Pork with Napa Cabbage...both hubby and I loved it...no overpowering ucky cabbage flavor.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried making sauerkraut with anything other than typical cabbage? If not I may try the Napa cabbage in a small 2 gallon crock and modify the recipe.

Anyone???

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Look up recipies for Kim Chee. If you like spicy, garlic, sourkraut, go for it!

3. lostsoulhelpmejebus

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Really? I was under the impression from watching Ming Tsai on Saturdays that Kim Chee was really hot and really spicy? Hmmm...let me go have a gander. Thanks!

4. lostsoulhelpmejebus

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    There are dozens, if not hundreds, of Kim Chee recipes, and many don't involve any sort of cabbage at all! But cabbage Kim Chee, the way the Koreans like it (according to my Korean sister-in-law) is usually pretty spicy. However, I would imagine that anyone who doesn't like the spice could leave it out; it is, after all, the cabbage that ferments - the rest is just flavoring. Just like some people put caraway, or juniper berries in "German" sauerkraut. A good book for anyone interested in pickles is "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich - instructions for just about anything you might like to pickle.

Edited to thank you for the sauerkraut recipes link. Neither DH nor I are terribly fond of sauerkraut, but I know it is healthy when fresh, and so want to try to change our tastes. My first attempt at sauerkraut is in a crock in the cellar at the moment, and I am looking forward to finding out if "fresh, home-made" will change our minds.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by