1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Does anyone else's chickens take naps?

Our pullets are 2 months old and in the summer weather they often nap in the shade. Otherwise, they are alert, active, healthy and eat and drink well and are growing well.

It's kinda cute to watch them lolling in the shade, tucking a head under a wing. Usually one has her head up on the lookout.

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My ducks love naps. When I am at my friends Fram, she has a rooster that naps till 9 and then goes to work. The precisely at 3 he comes back and takes a nap till the food tub comes out.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My chickens take naps several times throughout the day...then when one gets up and leaves to eat and drink the others get up and follow.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I think your chickens are normal. [​IMG]

Something new is sure fun isn't it. I have a bunch and don't get tired of watching them and seeing their personalities develop.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Around here the adult birds, half growns, and babies all take naps throughout the day. All take more naps during the highest heat of the day. The babies nap more, but then they are running high speed till they find a place to colapse for a while.

Every time I have chicks in the 8-10 week old range, they get a bad habit. The first to wake up absolutely has to walk ACROSS the others to get to the food or water.

Matt

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Mine nap daily and also do the dust bath trance thing. Dust bathing must be like chickie dope, 'cause they sure look out of it when they dust bathe.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yep, normal. Mine dig out a fresh dust bathing hole and nap in the shade.

8. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    haha ya mine take about 2 naps/dirtbathes a day, must be nice to be a chicken.......

9. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    The life of the idle rich bird. Eat, rest , undescribed activity, eat , rest , ect....

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Thanks for the reassurance. Ours love dustbaths too. We scraped a bare area in the middle of their run but they carved one out on their own near the gate. They are like kids, pushing to see who can get in the best spot. They too climb over one another.

It's great watching them "just be chickens"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by