Narcoleptic chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HennaRose, Feb 5, 2015.

1. HennaRose

HennaRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I’ve got one little three-day-old Rhode Island Red who has spent today sleeping. I haven’t been watching her every second (I've had to do things like get kids to and from school) so I’m not sure if she’s eating/drinking and then going back to her sleeping spot, but even when I pick her up or move her she’ll open her eyes, give me the side-eye, and go right back to sleep. She won't eat when I put her right in front of the food, and I'm afraid if I leave her there she'll get cold, so I've put one feeder and a waterer closer to the heat lamp. She was active yesterday. Eating, drinking, interacting with the other chicks.

We already lost one chick yesterday who was gasping and flopping over. I'd just as soon not lose another one. This one isn't doing those things, she's just not staying awake.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well. little chicks do sleep a lot. Have you dipped her beak in the water to show her it's there? Also, sometimes even baby crumbles are too big. I always grind mine for the first week or so and dip their beaks in that too.

3. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    They're using a nipple waterer and I watched each and every chick drink from it yesterday to make sure they all got it. She ate yesterday, too, hasn't seemed to have any issues with the size of the food. Yesterday she was acting just like the other chicks, and today all she wants to do is sleep.

The rest of them sleep a lot, but they also move around, eat, make noise. This one has been in the same 1-ft section of the pen every time I've gone in there, and I'm in there several times a day. When I move her she goes back to it after a few minutes.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hmmm, because of the other chick dying, it's possible she is sick. There are so many things that can affect chicks and they die with no apparent reason. Have you checked her for pasty butt or mushy naval? were they vaccinated for mareks or anything else?

5. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Poor babe doesn't sound like she is doing too good. Do you have any of the Save A Chick packets of electrolytes and probiotics to put in their water?

6. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes that does not sound good... They should all be very active, eating and drinking basically half the day and sleeping the other half. Sometimes they fall asleep quickly in mid play, but should rouse when you wake them. Have you checked the brooder temperature? Maybe it is cold? If they are huddled or spending time sleeping directly under the heat lamp they may be chilled which can make them appear lethargic.

7. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    Vaccinated for Marek's, no pasty butt, no mushy navel. She doesn't have the gasping and flopping thing that the other chick had; that one died within 24 hours of getting here, sudden-onset symptoms, was fine at 1:30 am and dead six hours later.

They're still on the Sav-A-Chick electrolytes and probiotics. I mix a new solution daily and offer it in a separate waterer from the plain water like the packet says.

The rest all seem fine. There's a thermometer near the heat lamps reading 95 degrees on the nose. Nobody's huddled together or avoiding contact with anyone else, just this one. She's sleeping *near* the lamp but not directly under it.

8. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May be just one if those mystery things... You could try giving her some fluids from a dropper to keep her hydrated, you don't open the beak or force it just drip water on to the tip of the beak with a dropper (if you have one) or from the end of your finger. She should reflexively swallow. If you see her perk up after a few drops then put her in front of a dish and encourage drinking (pretend pecking the water with your fingertip is encouraging for them, crazy I know but they mimic what they see).. If that doesn't work, she may just be one of the chicks nature has selected to be unfit for development.
    I'll be thinking of you guys, let us know how it turns out!

1 person likes this.
  9. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I put a little food right in front of her on a paper towel and she fell asleep next to it :-/ I'll try the dropper and see if it helps.

10. HennaRose

Oct 22, 2014
    Florida
    I got her to take a few drops of water from the dropper. Still wouldn't drink from the nipple or the tray, and fell asleep with her beak on the food but didn't actually eat anything. Might it help to feed her some mashed up boiled egg? If so, just the yolk, or the white too?

She did seem annoyed that I interrupted her sleep to make her drink something. Stood up in my hand, flapped her wings, stamped her little feet and chirped at me before she plopped back down and settled all of her tiny body into my hand and fell asleep again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by