Narcoleptic Pullet??- Excitement = Fainting in 4moCrevecouer? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JP101010, Nov 6, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our 4 month old crevecouer Pullet is healthy (eating,drinking ,normal b/ms etc) . She had an episode a week or so ago where i watched her jump up and lay on her back flapping and open beak breathing for just a few seconds then i grabbed her up , limp , and all was back to normal in about 20 seconds to 1minute. after the disorientation she began carrying on and eating as normal. I thought this may be a seizure or fright shock , but now after the 2nd episode im convinced its more like... chicken narcolepsy !?
    Any excitement and she goes limp , this episode today was much quicker than the first. our chinese crested pup ran up to the pen all enthusiastically and the pullet jumped up and went limp (wings out , very disorientated) and in a moment she was walking away.
    Anyone else ever had this experience or something similar?
    Im really hoping for some feedback this time as my original post didnt receive any?

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    sounds like you have a 'fainting' chicken. [​IMG] similar to a fainting goat if you have ever seen those before!

3. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

after some research im thinking i have a pullet with myotonia congenita - the same hereditary muscle disease that "Fainting Goats" have. I wonder how common this is in poultry.. back to google

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Could you post a video? I'd like to see a narcoleptic chicken! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sounds like some kind of cardiac problem,blood pressure problem, or nerves.. One of my pullets during the summer passed out when I accidentally scared her. I picked her up, she woke up and went back to her business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by