1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Narragansett Chicks/Eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GreenVariety, May 8, 2011.

1. GreenVariety

GreenVariety New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I'm on the hunt! I'm looking for Narragansett chicks. I have emailed a number of people in my ALBC yearbook with no luck! Anyone with eggs, I have my heart set on this bird. I would like to get a breeding pair going but would just like to get started with the birds!

Thank you!

namaste,
    Wysteria
    Maryland

2. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I have tons of eggs, but mine would only be good if you live at high elevation. Have you tried Cackle or Privett?

3. SabaiFarms

SabaiFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Calhan, Colorado
    Does elevation of shipped eggs really matter? I live at a high elevation and have had the worst hatch rate (one bird from each shipment) from 3 shipments of (chicken) eggs in a row. Could this be my problem?

(sorry if I hijacked)

4. GreenVariety

GreenVariety New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I haven't tried Cackle or Privett. I was looking to work with a breeder. I want to make sure they meet the standard. I like working with farmers too.

I am curious about the elevation as well. Could you explain? Or point me in a direction where I can learn a bit more!

5. MissTurkey4

Mar 29, 2011
    Turkeys eggs layed at sea level and incubated at a high elevation or vice a versa do not hatch well. Hens adapt to there elevation and produce eggs that will hatch localy. It makes a huge difference.

There is plenty on this in google. If you cannot find it and want to read more let me know.

Also eggs at high elevation die if they do not get enough oxygen when you raise the humidity.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. MissTurkey4

Mar 29, 2011
    I don't sell eggs. I only give them to nice people.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I have Narragansett poults on order from Porters. That would be porterturkeys.com This is my first order for turkeys so I don't have any first hand experience but I have never heard a negative comment and the customer service in fantastic.

10. smithbantam

smithbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Fort Towson Ok
    I sell eggs. Just PM me if you want to place a order, I have 12 eggs going out thursday and then I will be able to make a new order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by