Narragansett Tom

Quote:
Are you sure the poults are white and not sweetgrass or palm? Many birds have hidden genes. His son would have a 50% chance of having the same genes as his father. Are you sure the white came from the tom and not the hen? It could be both tom and hen if it is the recessive white gene like the White Holland.

Last edited:
He said only 2% or so were all white. He was pritty sure it was the tom. I think I will risk it.

Quote:
What was the tom bred with? another Narri? Narri's breed true, so if they are throwing "off" colors they are mixed. For the life of me I don't understand the whole "lets mix and match varieties and colors and see what comes out" idea but that's just me. I'm more for saving and preserving.

Steve

I'm more for saving and preserving.

I don't understand what your saving and perserving? Heritage turkeys where a type of turkey (single breasted) that we almost lost not a bloodline. Breeding different colors will not lose that type of turkey. Its not like he is crossing on broodbreasted turkeys. Naragansett is a color not a bloodline. Every White Hollands is black based or bronzed based (nargie is bronze based) and can carry many other genes. Naragansett genes are in all Palm and Sweetgrass birds along with alot of other colors that need perserving.​

Back
Top Bottom