Narragansett Turkey Laying "Season"?

Olive Hill

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
In mid-April we bought a 1 year old Narragansett trio. Within 3 hours of being in their new home one of the hens laid an egg, within 8 hours, both had. I was more than impressed. They continued to lay an egg a day, or every other day consistently until April 30th when one of the hens got Sour Crop. She quit laying when she fell ill -- which didn't surprise me as she was in some rough shape, I was surprised she made it through to tell you the truth -- but the other continued to lay well for a few more weeks (so until late May or so...). And then she stopped too seemingly without any reason.

The hen that was ill has since made a full recovery and has had no relapses. The other hen and the tom have never had any signs or symptoms of illness whatsoever.

Neither hen has laid since. They eat, drink, forage, roost, gobble, pip/call, mate... do all the normal turkey things... except lay eggs. I know turkeys can take breaks but how common is this for them to not lay all summer at all?
hu.gif

As long as they lay again next spring I'm okay with it, but I was just reading tonight and it seems everyone else's turkeys keep right on laying all the way through with a small break if anything and it got me starting to worry...
hide.gif

I have been raising Narragansetts for 10 years now. Was your summer really hot? Do you have food and water in front of the 24/7? Could they have laid their eggs somewhere that you could not have found them? About 90 eggs a year is about average starting in March with 60% of their eggs within the first 13 weeks of lay. The time of spring when they start laying is based on where you live and your weather. The best years for reproduction being year 2-3. If they do not lay well this comming spring I would get some new birds.

Quote:
Yes. Both spring and summer were unseasonably warm here this year.

Do you have food and water in front of the 24/7?

Always.

Could they have laid their eggs somewhere that you could not have found them?

Nope, because they were new they have been penned until just recently.

About 90 eggs a year is about average starting in March with 60% of their eggs within the first 13 weeks of lay. The time of spring when they start laying is based on where you live and your weather. The best years for reproduction being year 2-3. If they do not lay well this comming spring I would get some new birds.

I wonder if they started a little early this year because it was a warm spring (this would have been before I got them) and then quit early because of the hot summer. I'll keep an eye on production next year and see what we get.

Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
Hehe. It's already fall here. If it cools down any more it'll be winter. (And I don't want that, thankyouverymuch! LOL!) We've already had a few good frosts this year, even.
sad.png

Thanks so much for chiming in though. Makes me feel better. I see other people on here saying their turkeys lay all summer and it kicked my worry gene in overdrive.
wink.png

This year was different for me. We had a very cool summer, so they layed all summer, non stop. Mine normaly lay in the fall. Not this year. Its cold and I think they where just done. I have the heaters blarring in the house. I think they know better to not lay now. I get one or two but thats it.

Its very possible your layed most of there eggs before you got them.

Last edited:
We had the same thing happen here Oma. It's been a very cool summer here on the Colorado high desert and my turkeys laid long into summer but they appear to be done now and the last few eggs they laid weren't fertile so I'm all about waiting until February or March to start the cycle over again.

I hatched the last of the fertile eggs about a week or two ago. Yesterday I tossed what looks to be the last of them. It was a great year though.

What did you hatch? Did a hen hatch them? Good for you, I gave up hatching in the fall since it's hard to brood them over the winter here in a mild climate how do you do it there? You must have to keep them inside for months or until spring? Please show us recient pics of the little guys.

Steve

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom