narragansett turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by honda150, Sep 24, 2012.

1. honda150

honda150 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    maine
    we just got 3, 4 week old narragansett poults at what age should i be able to tell what gender they are.We just sold our bbb turkeys for someone to butcher.Do the narragansett turkeys show there gender ealier than the bbb breed?A couple of em are starting to loose the short fuzz on the back of there heads now does that mean anything?Also what age will these little guys start to gobble?

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

It can take awhile. It can take as long as age 5 monthes to know. Some may strut sooner, I have a 3 month old that just strutted last night, so if you watch for that and mark them, you'll know some males a little earlier. Unless they strut (with their tail feathers spread) or they mature in some other highly visable way, you'll just have to wait.

3. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    All turkeys strut, toms and hens both and they often strut within days of hatching. Strutting will not determine sex.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I've never seen true strutting until month 3.

I don't count play strutting. How do you sex your turkeys then?

5. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    Play strutting?
    Determine sex by:
    Gobbling
    Snood development
    Head coloration
    Breast feather edges on colored varieties
    Size

6. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't [​IMG] Seriously, how do you sex a turkey??? All my turkeys look like hens but they all strut some time or another! I mean, they're always only like 7 months old until we butcher them, but stll, all mine ever have a hen shape! grrr..

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I can sex my Narragansetts at hatch. Males have a noticeably bigger snood from the start.

8. honda150

honda150 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    maine
    NYREDS, ok now 2 out of the 3 poults there snoods are kind of like there laid to one side they are noticeablely bigger than the other one which is more of a little bump.Also that ones head seems to be alittle different.Meaning not so wide acrossed the forehead like the other 2.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  9. BAMACK2

BAMACK2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Spring Lake NC
    Also if they are the same age look at the leg thickness and how much longer they are the males legs will be thicker and longer

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Sounds like you have 2 males & 1 female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by