narragansett turkeys

honda150

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
maine
we just got 3, 4 week old narragansett poults at what age should i be able to tell what gender they are.We just sold our bbb turkeys for someone to butcher.Do the narragansett turkeys show there gender ealier than the bbb breed?A couple of em are starting to loose the short fuzz on the back of there heads now does that mean anything?Also what age will these little guys start to gobble?

It can take awhile. It can take as long as age 5 monthes to know. Some may strut sooner, I have a 3 month old that just strutted last night, so if you watch for that and mark them, you'll know some males a little earlier. Unless they strut (with their tail feathers spread) or they mature in some other highly visable way, you'll just have to wait.

All turkeys strut, toms and hens both and they often strut within days of hatching. Strutting will not determine sex.

Last edited:
Play strutting?
Determine sex by:
Gobbling
Snood development
Head coloration
Breast feather edges on colored varieties
Size

I've never seen true strutting until month 3.

I don't count play strutting. How do you sex your turkeys then?

I don't
lol.png
Seriously, how do you sex a turkey??? All my turkeys look like hens but they all strut some time or another! I mean, they're always only like 7 months old until we butcher them, but stll, all mine ever have a hen shape! grrr..

I can sex my Narragansetts at hatch. Males have a noticeably bigger snood from the start.

NYREDS, ok now 2 out of the 3 poults there snoods are kind of like there laid to one side they are noticeablely bigger than the other one which is more of a little bump.Also that ones head seems to be alittle different.Meaning not so wide acrossed the forehead like the other 2.

Last edited:
NYREDS, ok now 2 out of the 3 poults there snoods are kind of like there laid to one side they are noticeablely bigger than the other one which is more of a little bump.Also that ones head seems to be alittle different.Meaning not so wide acrossed the forehead like the other 2.
Sounds like you have 2 males & 1 female.

Back
Top Bottom