Narrow Escape

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by reallemons1, Jun 11, 2008.

1. reallemons1

reallemons1 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    While feeding the young turkeys this evening we almost lost one. I walked in the stall with them and they went in a corner as usual. Then in the middle of the group I noticed one on its side with a wing sticking up and flapping and the others got upset. So looking closer there was a black snake wrapped around the turkey! I looked for a weapon but there wasn't one so I kicked at it and the snake let go and started leaving through a hole. The turkey was okay. I wonder now was the snake out for a turkey dinner or was it just there and acted in self defense when the turkeys walked on it? Eather way if I find it, it's out of there.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Good save! How big (old) are your turks?

3. reallemons1

reallemons1 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    These ones are Royal Palms about 5 weeks old.

4. Please tell us you blocked that hole...if a constrictor, he's hunting your flock.

5. reallemons1

reallemons1 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I did block that hole. The only problem is that there are many more. It is a 14x10 stall in a 14x 40 4 stall barn built fairly open for the horses. To block all of the holes a snake could get through be a total reconstruction job. There are 200 bales of hay in the stall beside the turkeys so the snake can hide well. I just hope it doesn't come back. But if I find it I do have something in there to kill it with now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: