Narrowed down whats killing my hens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitewinterwolf, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    They have been de-wormed, they have been ivermeced, they have been treated for cocidia...BUT! I just found out that my hens have not been cooperating with the Corid treatment...
    The were smart!
    The fence that we have sits by a stream that flows right threw the center of our yard, obviously the stream is on the other side of the fence.
    However! They found a spot right up against the fence where an under ground water source was bobbling up from between the leaves. The little brats stoped drinking the treated water and dug themselves a well...
    I just found this, this morning.
    So! Yet another one of my hens is sick, im assuming its cocidia since everything else has been treated successfully.
    Symptoms are,
    -Diarrhea
    -bloody stool
    -listlessness
    -Fluffed feathers
    -pail legs and comb
    -Slowness
    -Thin
    -Sleepiness

I have given her an assortment of food, chick starter, scratch, scrambled eggs, growing crumble, layer crumble, and cottage cheese.
    And water treated with the cocida medication, just to be sure she gets the treatment this time. And she is under a heat lamp.
    She is a 7 month old silver laced whyandotte (I so spelled that wrong)
    And is normally a pain to catch, but yesterday she just stood in the middle of the yard until I walked up, picked her up, and brought her inside.
    What else should I be doing?

2. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Uh...anyone?
    Am I doing everything right here?

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I don't have any personal experience with Coccidiosis. [​IMG] Hopefully someone with some knowledge on this can help you out. Keep us updated on her. For now just keep her warm and comfortable.

4. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Alright thank you!
    Ive been doing just that, but im hoping she makes it [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You need to remove all the high protein feeds. Treatment is cancelled out by the high protein diet. Save the high protein food for after she finishes her treatment course.

Good luck.

6. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh ok, so no scrambled eggs and cottage cheese? What about the other stuff?

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Just give her her regular feed/crumbles.

8. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

at this point just make sure you treat her in her water and most definatly no high protein keep her warm and by herself

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Ok I can certainly do that!

10. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Ok she is doing better and her legs are becoming yellowish again. Her poop is solid and no longer bloody.
    However she is not eating as well as I would like her to be.
    Shes thin and wobbles, yet she is starving. She will rush to the front of the cage and inspect everything I bring her, but she has only successfully eaten some popcorn and cheese???
    I am very perplexed at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by