Narrowed it down to 5....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by porkchop48, May 6, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    Ok I have been reading and reading and reading some more.

I have narrowed down my duck choices.

We are looking for a good dual purpose duck who is also a non flyer.

So which would be best -

Pekin
    Orpington
    Kahki Campbell
    Cayuga
    Ancona

I only want to have one kind of duck. I have read conflicting things about which fly and which don't, so any pros and cons of any of them in asspeciated.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I would probably say the Ancona or Cayuga. The issue with the Cayuga will probably be dark pin feathers.

3. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    go with buff orpingtons. they are so nice i ordered 10 more because i bought a buff hen that i liked so much. ive got like 80 ducklings this year every breed.

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:That is ALOT of ducklings!

5. I am biased... i have three Pekin Ducklings, about 4 weeks old now, and they are adorable, sweet, loving, did I say adorable yet??????? [​IMG]

6. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I have the Ancona's, BO and Pekins and I love them all the same. I don't plan on eating them (nothing against it but I'm just too attached to them) but with doing research on the breeds, I have read that Pekin or BO ducks are better for eating because of their down feathers being a light color instead of dark(why that makes a difference, I don't know) I have also read that Pekins can be real fatty and oily. Hope that makes sense.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You missed the Silver Appleyard.

In my opinion, the very best dual purpose duck. They are large, so are good meat birds and they lay many more eggs than any of the heavy weights and lay more than most of the middle weight breeds.

The egg laying breeds who can outlay them are small birds with a small carcass.

8. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I love the Anconas because you can play with colors when you breed, and you can tell them apart. They're pretty quiet and laid-back, and forage well. Mine lay very well! They're big enough to eat, and the breast is mostly white usually, so black pin feathers aren't much of a problem.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    None of those fly. If you want a duck that is relatively large AND lays a good amount of eggs, I'd go with the Pekin or the Khaki Campbell.

10. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    My Khaki Campbell I got from the feed store flew.... He was paired with a Mallard hen and they went all over the property...

Ryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by