NASA...We Have Chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spatcher, May 10, 2008.

1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    The big day finally arrived! Went and picked up my first ever chickens. Now I will be needing the help of all you pros that have been doing this for years, when the questions arise. Brought home 4 Russian Orloffs including a Roo...3 Delaware hens and 2 Rhode Island reds. Was really thinking i would have to try to get them in the coop tonight (all adult birds), but as soon as the sun set, they all marched up the ramp and went to bed. Couldnt believe it! A few questions already though. Should they be fed a certain amount daily or let them have whatever they will eat? They are eating the layer crumbles like they have never eaten before but I dont want to overfeed them if that is possible. Found out they like cereal with nuts and cranberries in it (I think they like me already lol)-Can they be overfed? Trying not to do anything wrong!

2. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You'll need to hand out cigars!

Congratulations

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hey Spatcher sounds like you are lovin your new girls. And no you can not over feed them layer food, but you can over do it on the treats. You should have laying crumbles out for them 24/7, they will not over eat. Make sure you are feeding healthy treats, there is a treat section on the feeding thread. Also make sure you have oyster shell for them so they have nice strong egg shells, they also need grit if they do not free range. Mine love black oil sunflower seeds. Also it is good to give them yougurt, just plain not flavored. They also need lots of fresh clean water, it is gettting warmer and mine are drinking a ton. Have fun with your girls and I am sure they love you. Mine are awsome, I also feed mine 20% laying crumbles.[​IMG]

4. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Thanks for the info! I am so freakin' excited with these birds! Now I understand why all of you are so into it!

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Just wait till you get your first egg!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]:weee

6. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I was told it might be a week to see an egg because of their relocation. But the way they are acting its like "we're home"! In all honesty, I would not be surprised to see an egg tomorrow!

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Depending on how old they are, I bet you will! [​IMG]

8. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I think they like it here!!! Was presented with my first egg this morning. Think it was one of the Delawares! Guess they are settling in pretty good! Thanks to all who posted!

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Wow! an egg already! Did you talk sweet to them spatcher? Sounds like they are really spoiled. [​IMG]

10. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    If they are not already spoiled...they will be soon! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by