Nasal discharge and wheezing... Plz help

WolF111

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2021
Some hens in my new flock are wheezing since morning and also look terribly lethargic. I noticed some nasal discharge too in two of them. They were looking lethargic even yesterday but today they have wheezing and have nasal discharge.
What should I do ??

Have you added them to your existing flock?

Where are you housing them - is there plenty of ventilation?

You may have brought in sick hens if they are "rescues"(?) Respiratory illness can be spread to other birds so you need to determine if that's worth the risk. Sometimes SYMPTOMS can be treated with antibiotics depending on what it is. Birds will still be carriers and can pass it on.

For Mycoplasma, Tylosin is often used to treat symptoms. You can order it online.

I do suggest that you get a fecal float as mentioned in your other thread to rule out worms as a cause of decline as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/respiratory-disease-in-chicken.1488951/#post-24825062

Have you added them to your existing flock?

Where are you housing them - is there plenty of ventilation?

You may have brought in sick hens if they are "rescues"(?) Respiratory illness can be spread to other birds so you need to determine if that's worth the risk. Sometimes SYMPTOMS can be treated with antibiotics depending on what it is. Birds will still be carriers and can pass it on.

For Mycoplasma, Tylosin is often used to treat symptoms. You can order it online.

I do suggest that you get a fecal float as mentioned in your other thread to rule out worms as a cause of decline as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/respiratory-disease-in-chicken.1488951/#post-24825062
I had added them to my mixed breed flock. I have been giving them antibiotics since yesterday. Most of them are looking better today. I have also isolated more severely sick hens. They look more energetic then yesterday but still have nasal discharge. Im also feeding em scrambled eggs.
I will give em. Antibiotics for a couple more days and hopefully they will return to their Charmy selves.

Back
Top Bottom