Nasally & Sneezy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crawfordmama, Aug 29, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    It rained here pretty hard for a couple of days and got down into the 50s, and inevitably, everyone got wet. I've noticed that all members of the flock sound a bit nasal, and are sneezing more than usual. In fact, last night one of the girls sneezed and "snotted" on me. The liquid was a clear spray, not goopy. They all have clear eyes, no nasal discharge, all combs and wattles are normal. Other than these two symptoms, they're acting like themselves, running about and chickening as usual. I've already got ACV in their water (this is a regular practice), and yogurt is a favorite treat, so they're getting that. Should I give them electrolytes or Poly-vi-sol or anything else? Thanks for your help.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The sneezing could be from high ammonia levels. If you haven't gotten down at their level and taken a whiff, do that. You may be surprised at the ammonia, especially with the rain you've had lately. That can build quickly. I'm betting it's environmental.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If it smells like ammonia in the chicken house, clean and scrub with some soap and clorox and put in some fresh clean straw.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by