1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nascar chicken, very lethargic, not eating/drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jsp28504, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jsp28504

jsp28504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    I have a silkie hen who is approx 18 m/o. I Just went out to check on my flock and noticed that she was very lethargic, letting her wings hang and not interested in the nightly treat. I have separated her from the flock and gave her on a .5cc of Tylan 50. She only turns to the left, just wondering what could be going on?

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Some form of nervous system attack probably. Both of her eyes are clear?

Mareks, Newcastle, Avian Encephalomyelitis or ??

Just guessing at this point.

Jim

3. jsp28504

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    Both eyes are clear.

4. jsp28504

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    I did a check on her a few minutes ago, her eyes are clear, but her face has a sunken in look? I'm going to fry up a couple of eggs to give her and some yogurt. I just don't have any idea of what is wrong with her!

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Have you checked for worms or dewormed them?

.5cc Tylan is the dosage for large fowl chickens....I would think that is double the dose you needed for your silkie. Plus, it is used mainly for respiratory infections...is she showing any signs of one?

6. jsp28504

Feb 15, 2012
    Clinton Ohio
    I mix DE in with their food, so I haven't tried worming, her poo looks normal, no sign of worms.

I gave the .5 cc orally, I am not ready to inject yet, so she only got a partial dose, .5 is what was in the syringe.

and no on the respiratory thing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    You don't have to see worms for worms to be present.

Did you check to see if she was egg bound?

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Doesn't sound like Mareks does it Leadwolf? Someone had mentioned it in the silkie thread, and I told Jsp to message you.

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Aoxa...this silkie is too old for Marek's. Especially since there is no flock history. I think it is more like she is having a reproductive issue.

OP...how long have you had your silkie? have you brought in any new chickens lately?

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I didn't think so either. I just wanted you to be the one to reassure the OP since you are so knowledgeable with mareks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by