Nasty abscess on Buff Orphington with Pale comb

lisamariexd

Hatching
Feb 5, 2016
Our young buff hen has stopped laying and her comb went pale, she seemed egg bound but after a bath we discovered a large grape sized bump with a black scab. I thought it was a tick, and pulled the black scab off to reveal this mess. I applied neosporin and went to fleet farm and got Blu kote. I'm really afraid she's not going to pull through. Any advice would be super appreciated. It's on her back side, by her tail.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what that is. Could it be an injury or where another animal or chicken has attacked her? Can you squeeze any pus out of it? Have you been able to get her to eat and drink? Give her some chopped egg or tuna, and put some water into her feed to get more fluids in her. If you have electrolytes, put some in her water, and get her to drink. Has she had any runny poops? How does her crop feel? I hope she starts acting better, but not sure what is going on.

I was just wanting to make sure this isn't a vent prolapse. How far from the vent is this wound?

Last edited:
Her vent looks good, it's at least 2 inches. More behind her leg. She's not even going outside with the other chickens, but the swelling seems to have started to subside. Hoping it's just a nasty infection that we can cure successfully.
Other than the Blu kote is there anything we can do for it?

I would try to see if it would contain pus that needs to come out. Warm soaks in a shallow bath with epsom salts or a product like chlorhexidene or betadine would be good. The plain neosporin is good for applying after a soak.

Her breathing is getting really rough, I think I'm going to try antibiotics? She's not really eating anymore.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom