Nasty black stuff on my chickens...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 15, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    There is nasty black stuff on my chickens. It is around their vents, and throughout their feathers.. What is it? And what do I do to get rid of it? Please HELP!!!!

2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I just gave my one roo that I think was the worst, a bath with Dawn dish soap. Tons of black stuff came off. It felt rather gritty. I am starting to think it is mites. I have Ivermectin (pour on). Will that take care of the mites? If so how much do I use on a standard size chicken? Please HELP I want to get a hold of the situation before it gets worse.. I also have a broody sitting on 7 eggs what shouldI do with her and the eggs? Should I put the eggsin my incubator and take them away from my hen? This whole situation has me frazzled I really need some advice please...
    Thank you,
    Mollie

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Try dusting them with DE (diatomaceous earth) food grade first before a chemical, hold them and pour and rub it in. Use a dust mask for you.. Then put together a dust bath with 1/3 dirt +1/3 DE + 1/3 sand .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks, here is what some of my chickens feathers looked like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Woud Ivermectin do anything to help clear this up? I have given 6 of my chickens a bath now in Dawn dish soap. I have given them some DE to baithe in. Now I just have to go get some Seven dust. Did I miss anything?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mites.

6. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Looks like a bad case of mites. I had a similar problem and here is the advice I was given at the time. Bathe the chickens which you have done. Give them a place to take dust baths which you have done. Dust them with poultry dust, rub cooking oil on the perches, nesting boxes and any other wood surfaces. It will soak in but from I was told it keeps mites from getting back on the chickens. It won't hurt the chickens if they get it on themselves.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thats great! Thank you very much... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by