Nasty Broody

Lisanfloyd

Songster
Jun 27, 2020
I have a Golden Sebright hen sitting on day 17 eggs… bantam do they may hatch tomorrow. She’s been diligent setting. Today, she left the nest and chased down the two week old chicks trying to kill them. I’m sure if I hadn’t been there, we would have lost one. I separated her and her eggs, but now I’m worried she’ll try to kill her own. Should I give her a chance or give her eggs to another broody?

PS Now she’s made about the cage, but she did nest up the hay and adjust her eggs.

I have a Jersey Giant that gets nasty close to hatching time. I've learned to separate her, let her hatch and raise, and about 3 weeks she calms down.

Just an fyi update…she tried to murder the first hatchling. I was checking frequently while trying to give her space. She nearly skinned its back and left it cold. I scooped it up and warmed it up, cleaned its wounds and set up an incubator. It’s alive, but it’s back looks terrible and I’m not sure it will make it. I put the other eggs with my surrogate broody and I’m hoping to transfer this one too.
Needless to say, Nasty Broody is in chicken jail now. I just don’t get it. She set like a champ and then turned murderous.

Back
Top Bottom