nasty bumps and cuts not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickventure, Sep 12, 2016.

1. chickventure

chickventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    California
    [​IMG]
    In the same coop I have a roo who is clean and 2 light brahma. But the other in the coop are getting these bumps. Now these I have coated them in povinde iodine and then put on a triple antibotic. Now my bigger issue my broody hen that is setting on eggs and has the similar thing her comb is dry but she is also near my brooder I have been taking some bio hazard pro cautions ie disinfecting hand before handling there feed dish and waters.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like Fowl Pox, this is usually caused by mosquito bites.

It will usually resolve itself in a few weeks, but you can put iodine on the scabs to help dry them up. The one on the photo has it very close to the eye, you may want to keep a close watch on that, you can put some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin eye ointment on the one at the eyes, to help prevent eye infection.

Don't pick the scabs off. Also keep watch to make sure it isn't spreading to the mouth/inside of beak.

Here's more info:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

1 person likes this.
  3. chickventure

chickventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    California
    Wyorp thank you for your help. :) wish it was pecking order scrapes. Will my chicks be ok? And the new hatched which are due to hatch soon.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you keep your new chicks inside your house in a brooder for a couple of weeks? Mosquitoes transmit and spread the disease, and baby chicks may have a much tougher time dealing with pox.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Looks like fowl pox for sure....You already got the best answers...

Good luck....

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 I agree with @Eggcessive best to house the chicks where the mosquitoes can't bite them.

One thing I do to help control mosquitoes is keep a fan blowing through the coop and one in the run. I know this isn't always possible to do this (run fans), but if you have a broody on the nest she is an easy target. You may want to see if there is something you can do to deter the them.

There are several threads about mosquitoes here on BYC, you may find some inspiration on those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by